if powered by diesel engine

< Previous | Next >

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, I am working on a file concerning the fire safety measures and equipment. Can someone clarify the structure of this sentence as I find it unclear? "if powered by diesel engine" refers to what?

Check that automatic pumps start when the water pressure is reduced to the specified level and, if powered by diesel engine, the oil pressure, the flow of cooling water through open-circuit cooling systems or the water level in the primary circuit of closed-circuit systems, and whether the engine will restart, using the manual start test button.

Thank you

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "If powered by diesel engine" refers to the whole thing that you're checking. Whatever apparatus it is, if it's powered by a diesel engine, you need to check three things besides whether the automatic pumps start. If your system has a diesel engine in it, you need to check:

A) the oil pressure
    B) either the flow of cooling water through open-circuit cooling systems or the water level in the primary circuit of closed-circuit systems (you either have an open- or closed-circuit cooling system, so this is only 1 thing to check)
    and C)
    whether the engine will restart (you'll use the manual start test button to check this)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    That was a nightmare sentence! I hope that's the worst one in this file... and good luck.

< Previous | Next >