If she's not in her office, she has probably left.

Nawee

Thai
Hello,

Does this sentence have a "predictive" meaning?

"If she's not in her office, she has probably left."
(= She is not in her office now because I think she has left.)

Thank you.

N

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Does she has probably left have a predictive meaning? I'd say not, because we can't predict something which has already happened.

However there's a sense in which it could be taken to mean you will find that she has probably left, and that is predictive.

As you can see, I'm not happy sticking such a label on your sentence.

e2efour

UK English
    The phrase she's probably in the canteen is a statement about where she is now.
    It can only be predictive in the sense mentioned by Thomas.
    Even then I find I predict that she is in the canteen somewhat strange.
    Can you turn a sentence (Goat cheese is a Norwegian speciality) into a prediction by prefacing that You will find that ...)?

I think not.

Loob

English UK
    Why are you asking, Nawee?

(I think I'd say that both sentences are examples of deductions rather than predictions.)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Why are you asking, Nawee?

(I think I'd say that both sentences are examples of deductions rather than predictions.)
    I agree entirely.

How about this syllogism? -

If she's not in her office, you will find her in the canteen.
    She's not in her office.

Therefore (deduction from the two premises) you will find her in the canteen (prediction).:):rolleyes:

Deductions can be predictive, I'd say, though the ones produced by Nawee haven't yet, in my view, had this character.

Nawee

Thai
    Ah... I think I may have confused "deductions" with "predictions". Thank you.

So what kind of meaning is this conditional? In grammar books, they talk about factual, predictive, hypothetical and counter-factual.

It's just that the verb forms don't match any of the "formula" taught in class. So I don't know what kind of meaning is implied in this sentence:

If she's not in the office, she has probably left.

Do we know for sure she's not in the office? If we know for sure, why is "if" used?

< Previous | Next >