if somewhat

plam

Slovene; Slovenia
Hello!

Could someone help me understand the following sentence?

Thompson's gallery has locations in Marylebone and the City, selling a diverse mix of appealing IF SOMEWHAT mainstream current British art.

What does this if somewhat mean? That the art they sell is mainstream?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Trisia

Romanian
    Ok, my try:

Even if the art is a bit mainstream, it's quite appealing. (I wonder what's wrong with being mainstream... snobs :rolleyes::D)

language_gig

Morocco, USA, Arabic, English
    Hello,
    Make sure "IF" is not an abbreviation of something or mispelt, because the sentence as it is sounds a little awkward. Also, note that not everything that is published online is necessarily correct.

I would suuggest the following translation:

Thompson's gallery has locations in Marylebone and the City, selling a diverse mix of appealing (and yet?/ as well as?) mainstream current British art.

Thank you for the welcoming note Tricia

Good luck :)

Trisia

Romanian
    Hello,
    Make sure "IF" is not an abbreviation of something or mispelt, because the sentence as it is sounds a little awkward. Also, note that not everything that is published online is necessarily correct.

Good luck :)
    Hey, language_gig, welcome to the forums! :D

I'm not sure what you mean. What's wrong with appealing, if somewhat... (yes, I would probably use a comma there). It's pleasant, even if a tad...

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Although the gallery's art could be considered moderately "mainstream" (meaning "popular" in a negative manner, or "everyday" in the sense that it might be boring or unoriginal rather than bold or innovative), it is still appealing to the writer (meaning that he finds it interesting or attractive).

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Although the gallery's art could be considered moderately "mainstream" (meaning "popular" in a negative manner, or "everyday" in the sense that it might be boring or unoriginal rather than bold or innovative), it is still appealing to the writer (meaning that he finds it interesting or attractive).
    Agreed (sure, how can I disagree with bibliolept? :D)

The sentence makes perfect sense to me, most of the people see mainstream works as being mundane, customer-oriented.....blah blah blah, thus the use of "if somewhat".

< Previous | Next >