If the dog's prayers were answered, the skies would rain bones

AspScreenwriter

English
Hey there,

Just read through the long list of post guidelines so here goes at addressing them.

I'm an aspiring screenwriter (hence the name) and have written a support character for my latest screenplay of Arabic descent.

There's a particular phrase I have him say, but I want to write it in Arabic for extra authenticity.

I need it translated into English text also. So like...

"Atal Ateel Wa Mishe Bi Daffno"

I believe means-

"He Killed The Victim And Walked In His Funeral."

I need the English text equivalent of the phrase-

"If the dog's prayers were answered, the skies would rain bones."

Thankin' you good people in advance.

Asp.

• clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    It's in what is apparently a Levantine dialect:

قتل القتيل ومشي بدفنه
    2atal il-2atiil w-mishi b-dafno.

Dafən دَفـْن is a burial or entombment but I'm not sure that's the word for funeral. 2atiil (qatiil) قتيل is someone who has been killed (so a murder victim, say, and not just any victim). Just some Googling also returned قتل القتيل ومشي بجنازته and جنازة [jnaaze] is the word I know for funeral.

I'm not perfectly certain of its meaning, but I assume it's a "cake and eat it too" situation?

AspScreenwriter

English
    Hi mizo :)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm way out of my depth with these linguistics.

I was hoping for a english text Arabic translation to the phrase-

"If the dog's prayers were answered, the skies would rain bones."

The context, if that's relevant here, is the idea that 'things aren't supposed to always go right. It would be a weird world if everyone got what they want.'

Basically one character in this scene has said something along the lines of-

CHARACTER #1
    Why does nothing ever go right?

Then the Arabic character comes back with (in arabic)

CHARACTER #2
    If the dog's prayers were answered, the skies would rain bones.

He's basically saying to Character One that things can't always go right. Prayers aren't always answered. Because if they did it would make for a strange, unbalanced world.

I hope that makes it clearer. I appreciate your help :)

Last edited:

AspScreenwriter

English
    Sorry :)

I need a translation of the "if the dog's" phrase from the English to Arabic, but written in english typography. Just like "2atal il-2atiil w-mishi b-dafno." is a english text phrase, but still in arabic. Dialogue in a screenplay can only be written in English lettering. So I need the Arabic translation written in English text :)

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Sorry :)

I need a translation of the "if the dog's" phrase from the English to Arabic, but written in english typography. Just like "2atal il-2atiil w-mishi b-dafno." is a english text phrase, but still in arabic. Dialogue in a screenplay can only be written in English lettering. So I need the Arabic translation written in English text :)
    Right. The word for this is transliteration. So you want a literal translation of the English idiom, transliterated into Roman characters?

Fair enough. Here is my attempt:

لو استجاب الله دعاء الكلب، نزّل له عظامًا من السماء مثل المطر
    Law istajaaba llaahu du3aa2a l-kalbi, nazzala lahu 3iDhaaman min as-samaa2i mithlu l-maTar.

To be frank however, I'm not sure this is an Arabic idiom, so it would sound very strange for your character to be saying. And especially since you're looking for "authenticity," I'm surprised you don't just want a traditional Arabic idiom. But, best of luck.

Last edited:

AspScreenwriter

English
    Thanks very much, Mizo.

I actually found that phrase in English and in Arabic in an Arabic phrases book. Mind you I can't vouch for the reliability of the book :)

Anyway, thanks again :)

Last edited:

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Ok, you didn't make that clear at all. So this "dog" thing is an Arabic idiom, and you want the Arabic for it. I guess that makes sense as I've never heard this idiom in English before.

I just searched around online and found a rendition:

لو استجاب الله دعاء الكلب، لأمطرت الدنيا عظامًا
    Law istajaabu llaahu du3aa2a l-kalbi, la-2amTarat ad-dunya 3iDhaaman.

< Previous | Next >