If the flight doesn't get cancelled

sinukg

Malayalam
Hi everyone,

I saw the following sentences in the video of a native speaker. Here could you please tell me why he used the simple present tense in the first para as "keeps delaying" instead of simple past as "kept delaying", and also tell me whether we can change the second para as "If my flight didn't get cancelled, I would be back in Maryland this evening." or "If my flight weren't get cancelled, I would be back in Maryland this evening."?

"Today is my last day in the UP, but the airline keeps delaying my return flight to Maryland because of bad weather."

If my flight doesn't get cancelled, I will be back in Maryland this evening."

• sinukg

Malayalam
    The airline is still at it - delaying his flight.

No. He still hopes to fly - if it doesn't get cancelled...

This form is completely incorrect.
    I would like to ask a question here. The sentences "but the airline keeps delaying my return flight to Maryland because of bad weather." and "If my flight doesn't get cancelled" give me a feeling that they are habitual actions. I would like to have your say on this.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    In "the airline keeps delaying my return flight", what you have is a repeated action.

"If my flight doesn't get cancelled, I will be back in Maryland this evening." is a normal first conditional sentence.

Cross-posted