If there is afault in the safety switches

< Previous | Next >

englishmans

italian, italy
How would you translate in German this period?

''If there is a fault in the safety switches on the electrical panel, we will ensure to stop the current''

This is the german google translate translation :

'' Wenn es einen Fehler in der Sicherheitsschalter auf der Schalttafel, wir werden es zu stoppen '''

So do i have to use ''Fallen sie'' or ''Wenn Sie'' at the beginning of the sentence?
And is the that a good translation for the period?

• ger4

German
    If can be translated as
    - wenn (= when = if)
    - falls (= if = in case)

Sometimes wenn is ambiguous because it can express a temporal or a conditional meaning. In this example, I don't think there is any ambiguity so you can use wenn.

Last edited:

Frieder

I understand that 'we' is the manufacturer of said safety switches (which we call "FI-Schutzschalter"). Still this doesn't make much sense. It should be something along these lines:

Wenn ein Fehlerstrom auftritt sorgen wir dafür, dass der Strom abgeschaltet wird.

Or - more complicated, less probable, more literal:

Wenn die FI-Schutzschalter in der Schalttafel versagen, sorgen wir dafür, dass der Strom abgeschaltet wird.

But that would mean that 'we' is a different manufacturer or service provider that springs into action if the safety switches fail.

Looks like we need some more context ...

But you can use both falls or wenn - no difference there (in this case).

Last edited:

bearded

'' Wenn es einen Fehler in der Sicherheitsschalter auf der Schalttafel, wir werden es zu stoppen '''
    And is that a good translation for the period?
    Hi Englishmans
    Our German friends have suggested better translations. But I would draw your attention on some grammar mistakes I found in your German sentence (corrections in blue):
    Wenn es einen Fehler in den Sicherheitsschaltern auf der Schalttafel gibt, werden wir den Strom stoppen.

< Previous | Next >