if they're with someone right now.

Vanloon

Hindi
339: Break-Up - This American Life

'That's the crazy thing about it. Breaking up with someone is literally the most common thing. Like everyone you know broke up with everyone they ever dated, until maybe the person they're with right now, if they're with someone right now. But when it happens to you, it feels so specific.'

Q: I cannot understand the underlined phrase. Could you paraphrase?
Thanks.

• bennymix

Any person now, who's with someone, has broken up with all previous dates or partners [that is, 'all' until the present connection].

The argument:
    Breaking up is very common.
    Besides all the singles you know who've had relationships, consider all those who are dating someone new to them.
    Well, they clearly broke up with all previous dates or partners--which is likely a lot in many cases.

Roman Ryzhiy

Russian
    Like everyone you know broke up with everyone they ever dated, maybe the person they're with right now did it too. If they are not alone of course.

Copyright

American English
    Like everyone you know broke up with everyone they ever dated, until maybe right now, if they're with someone right now.

Vanloon

Hindi
    Like everyone you know broke up with everyone they ever dated, until maybe right now, if they're with someone right now.
    Thanks for your quick reply, just one more question please...

Maybe I do not know the exact meaning of 'until' here.
    Thanks...

Vanloon

Hindi
    ... except the person they're with right now – if they're with someone right now.

Does that help?
    until maybe the person they're with right now
    = except the person they're with right now

Which means...'until maybe' = 'except'
    How...???

Copyright

American English
    Sure, Now I know the meaning but I do not know why 'until maybe' means except?
    "Until" doesn't mean "except" – I was giving you a different word in case that helped you understand. Apparently, I just added to the confusion.

Here's an example: "Until now, I've been very happy." "Until" means up until the time stated, i.e. all the time before the time stated – which is "now" in the previous sentence, and "the age of 21" in the next sentence. "Until the age of 21, I never drank beer."

< Previous | Next >