if you are so inspired:

StewieG

Polish
I'm familiar with the phrase so inclined defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary as wanting to do something or likely to do something. Today I came across a similar phrase. After a short description of an online fundraising event, the writer ended with here is the official fundraising link if you are so inspired followed by a link.

Is this usage common with other adjectives or is this the writer's creativity? For instance, would it make sense to say something like

Some people can't drink milk and you don't have to do it too if you are so prone.

or

You may want to check out left-wing literature in our bookstore if you are so leaning.

• owlman5

English-US
    Is this usage common with other adjectives or is this the writer's creativity?
    The structure isn't particularly common, but I've heard "If you are so inspired" before.

Both your sentences sound pretty unusual to me. "If you are so prone" isn't terribly clear. It would be clearer to say "if you are lactose-intolerant" or "if you can't drink it either."

The version with "if you are so leaning" sounds odd enough that I'd advise you to choose something else. "If you lean that way yourself" seems clearer to me.

suzi br

English / England
    I agree with owlman, I've heard "so inspired" but your efforsst both seem a little odd. I'd go further and say the prone one doesn't really work because not being able to drink milk is a black and white thing, not an inclination that you might be prone to ... so that sentence is wrong for me.

The left-leaning thing seems better in the sense that "left-leaning" IS an established phrasing in its own right.

StewieG

Polish
    Thank you owlman5 and suzi br! The truth is I struggled a bit to come up with these examples and I never planned to use them even if they made sense to native speakers. I just wanted to know if such a thing exists in English.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, there's quite a limited range of those "so --ed" constructions which sound idiomatic in English, and neither of the ones you've come up with work for me, particularly not that first one.

The second one might work as "... if you are so minded" which is quite a common variant, I would say. :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Original phrase:
    here is the official fundraising link if you are so inspired

Think of it like this. It means:
    here is the official fundraising link if you are inspired in that manner (to donate money)

You could also use so inclined:
    here is the official fundraising link if you are so inclined
    here is the official fundraising link if you are inclined in that manner (to donate money)

Some people can't drink milk and you don't have to do it too if you are so prone.
    Some people can't drink milk and you don't have to do it too if you are prone to drink/not drink(?) milk.

You may want to check out left-wing literature in our bookstore if you are so leaning.
    You may want to check out left-wing literature in our bookstore if you are leaning (to do what)?

Notice how the correct examples both end in -ed (as does Donny's "minded") and yours don't. That's probably not a coincidence.

< Previous | Next >