If you began to be unsuccessful you’d begin to flirt

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(
para.13) by Lawrence (the University of Adelaide,here):

And of course men like you think you’ll get through better with a
woman’s backing. That’s why you’re so jealous. That’s what sex is to you . . . a vital little dynamo between you and Julia, to bring success. If you began to be unsuccessful you’d begin to flirt, like Charlie, who isn’t successful.

Why do unsuccessful men flirt with women? To seek backing of women?
Thank you in advance

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    If he isn't successful anymore with Julia (the sex is no longer satisfying), then he's become unsuccessful.

At that stage, the male (and female) are no longer getting their needs met. The male (in this in scenario) will begin to flirt with potential females, to attract a new sex partner.

You really just have to listen to or watch birds to figure this one out. :)

longxianchen

chinese
    Thanks. But is the following explanation possible:
    If you are unsuccessful in your career ( or, if you fail to achieve your success which has been mentioned many times in the previous paragraphs), you will begin to flirt with ladies to win ladies' support, because ladies can support you (as in you’ll get through better with a woman’s backing, such as cooking for you, giving birth to kids, making you energetic like a dynamo through sex and so on. All in all, women's support will help to push you on to success)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Gosh. You seem like you already know the answer.

Sure, that explanation is not only possible but plausible.

I truly don't understand why the bolded and/or colored words, in trying to understand.

I do understand peace. That much I wish you!

longxianchen

chinese
    I truly don't understand why the bolded and/or colored words, in trying to understand.

I just want to make it easier for people to understand. The colored or bolded words are sometimes quotations, and sometimes the key words. Sorry, if I confused you.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    If you can write the way you just did, I don't understand why the English is confusing to you.

longxianchen

chinese
    Gosh. You seem like you already know the answer.

Sure, that explanation is not only possible but plausible.
    But whom would Hammond begin to flirt with? his wife or other women? Or what's the object of flirt (with) in you’d begin to flirt?

And If you began to be unsuccessful you’d begin to flirt sounds like he didn't need to flirt with his wife when he was successful, which is hard to understand for any normal marriage.

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    But even though he began to fail in his career(=be unsuccessful), it doesn't mean his wife would leave him. So he didn't need to flirt with other women.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The speaker's saying that if Hammond became less successful, then he would start flirting with other women. Married people can flirt and still be married. What do you understand by flirting?

< Previous | Next >