if you <declare><declared> them inside the try block

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JJXR, Aug 4, 2018.

1. JJXR

JJXR Senior Member

Russian
    Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

Professional C# 7 and .NET Core 2.0 by Christian Nagel.

Sample sentence:

The ColdCallFileReader class is the class that handles the file reading. Notice that you do this outside the initial try block — that’s because the variables that you instantiate here need to be available in the subsequent catch and finally blocks, and if you <declare><declared> them inside the try block, they would go out of scope at the closing curly brace of the try block, where the compiler would complain about it.

Question:

"Declare" is used in the source. I wonder if both "declare" and "declared" work.

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
    JJXR

2. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    I don't regard it as normal to use the present tense in what you would call a type II conditional clause.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    declare is in the subjunctive = were to declare. Both work.

4. DonnyB

DonnyB Sixties Mod

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    From my limited understanding of the subject matter in that sentence, it's a standard Type II conditional and only the past tense "declared" works for me.

5. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    Declare is the base form of the verb (here the present tense after you). It does not mean were to declare.

Are you saying that if it rains tomorrow is equivalent to if it were to rain tomorrow?

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Are you sure? How can you tell? If you understand "declare" to be in the subjunctive, the sentence works perfectly.
    The 3rd person subjunctive is distinguished from the "normal" form by the lack of a suffix 's'. I think you meant to ask

"Are you saying that if it rains rain tomorrow" is equivalent to "if it were to rain tomorrow?". To which the answer would be "Yes".

7. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    If it rain?? tomorrow is not a possible clause in English. I am not asking about ungrammatical forms of the verb.

8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I'm sorry, I seem to have misunderstood. Perhaps if you were to ask your actual question in another way?

9. JJXR

JJXR Senior Member

Russian
    Thank you all for the responses.