If you had driven/been driving home at 9pm

< Previous | Next >

Fbohn21

Deutsch
If you had been driving home/ had driven home at 9pm then you would have been sitting/ have sat in traffic all evening.

I think the correct version is:

If you had been driving home at 9pm then you you have been sitting in traffic all evening.

If I omitted all evening „would have sat” would work as well right?

Last edited:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    I take it you meant to write "then you would" instead of "then you you", in which case you are right; this is the best version.

There isn't really a right and wrong option for either verb in this case. I think that "would have been sitting" is a lot better than "would have sat" if you omitted "all evening", but might be appropriate for a shorter period of time:
    If you had been driving home at 9pm then you would have sat in traffic for an hour.​

Fbohn21

Deutsch
    So you are saying that would have sat is not appropriate when used with all evening. But it is ok if I use it with one hour or two hours or so.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Not really; you could use it for "all evening" if you want. There isn't really a clear choice in this situation, except I would not use "have sat" it if no time period or location was mentioned, but "would have been sitting" is fine even if you don't say where or for how long the person would have been sitting.

< Previous | Next >