if you rat out on us < with/ on> this one.

buoo

Korean
Hi, everyone. So, I happen to be the one who's getting a little itchy here too.:)
I'm wondering if you could possibly say this way too.

if you rat us out on this one --> if you rat out on us ___ this one.

If so, what's the correct preposition to fit the blanket? My choice of preposition goes to.. 'with' or 'on'
But honestly, I'm not sure if the two ideas, 'rat out on us' + 'this one', can be connected in the first place. If you deliberately make it so, what would you put in in the blanket? What about 'out of'?

PS. I typed 'rat out on' on the search bar and got no result, so I'm asking this here.

<< This thread has been split from: jew out >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Myridon

English - US
    "On this one" goes together. You cannot move the "us" from "rat us out" into the middle of the next phrase.

buoo

Korean
    Thank you Myridon. I'm not 100% sure if I got it right what you mean. Are you saying that 'us' out of verb part into the next phrase, 'on this one', is not possible because, first, 'on this one' is a set phrase and second, doing so means making 'us' an element of the right-most phrase, which results in a nonsense? It's as if to say "If you rat out / us this one"?

I tried to make that in this format: "If you rat out/ on us/ (prep.) this one."

pob14

American English
    Also, as Myridon suggested, "rat us out" is something of a set phrase, too (meaning "tell the authorities about our transgressions"). You can rat me out, rat him out, rat her out, but we don't generally say "rat out [on] us."

< Previous | Next >