If you refrigerate food, it will stay fresh longer

< Previous | Next >

Abu Talha

Urdu
Hello,

How would you say in Standard Arabic "If you refrigerate food, it will stay fresh longer" ?

Is it possible to use an اسم تفضيل adverbially like in English:

إذا وضعت الطعام في الثلاجة فبات طازجًا [زمنًا] أطولَ.

Also do you leave out the case which you compare it to, i.e., "...longer than if you don't refrigerate it".

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
    I would say:
    إذا وضعت الطعام في الثلاجة فسيبقى طازجاً وقتاً أطول

And
    إذا وضعت الطعام في الثلاجة فسيبقى طازجاً وقتاً أطول ممّا لو لم تضعه فيها/ممّا لو تركته خارجاً

Abu Talha

Urdu
    Thank you Barkoosh. May I ask why you chose فسيبقى over فبقِيَ and فيبقَ ? The latter two also have a future meaning, right? You mentioned this option in the other thread about conditional statements here too:
    ...But what if I want to express a past sense after إذا? Here's another example.

You just had a test at school. You come out of the classroom and say to your friend, "I have a feeling that I may fail". Your friend says: "If you studied (yesterday), you will pass". In Arabic, he would say: إذا كنت قد درست (أمس) فستنجح. So in order to express a past sense after إذا, we usually use كان قد فعل.

barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
    I think you mean this part
    You may know that إذا is usually used with verbs in the Arabic past tense (الماضي) while the meaning is future (المستقبل). For example:إذا درستَ نجحتَ
    If you study, you will pass.*

* You can also say in Arabic إذا درستَ فسوف تنجحُ
    In short, you may say:
    إذا وضعت الطعام في الثلاجة بقي طازجاً وقتاً أطول
    إذا وضعت الطعام في الثلاجة يبقى طازجاً وقتاً أطول
    إذا وضعت الطعام في الثلاجة فسيبقى طازجاً وقتاً أطول
    Personally, I like the latter for some reason, but they're all fine.

Regarding using the ف in جملة جواب الشرط (which is "it will stay fresh longer" in this case), see here:
    http://www.drmosad.com/index65.htm

< Previous | Next >