If you <were to have been> there for three hours when your ticket <expired>, you...

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Example:

Initial version: If she is praised tomorrow, she will be a happy bunny.

Transformed version: If she were praised tomorrow, she would be a happy bunny.

Please help me do the same to the initial version below:

Initial version: Suppose you buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you have been there for three hours when your ticket expires, you will buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.

Transformed version: Suppose you were to buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you were to have been there for three hours when your ticket expired, you would buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Example:

Initial version [A]: If she is praised tomorrow, she will be a happy bunny.

Transformed version [A]: If she were praised tomorrow, she would be a happy bunny.

Please help me do the same to the initial version below:

Initial version {B}: Suppose you buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you have been there for three hours when your ticket expires, you will buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.

Transformed version{B}: Suppose you were to buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you were to have been there for three hours when your ticket expired, you would buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
    JJXR

I'm not sure I approve either the initialB or transformed versionB [which is supposed to be a revision of the initial one].

Instead, I'd say,

Initial version B*: Suppose you buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you [have been] ARE (subsequently) there for three hours when your ticket expires, you [will] {delete} buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.

Transformed version B*: Suppose you were to buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you were [to have been][TO BE] there for three hours when your ticket expired, you would buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.[/B]

Last edited:

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks for the response, bennymix.
    Initial version B*: Suppose you buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you [have been] ARE (subsequently) there for three hours when your ticket expires, you [will] {delete} buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.
    In initial version B*, have been is incorrect and ARE is correct. Is my understanding correct?
    Transformed version B*: Suppose you were to buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you were [to have been][TO BE] there for three hours when your ticket expired, you would buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.[/B]
    In transformed version B*, to have been is incorrect and TO BE is correct. Is my understanding correct?
    ...you [will] {delete} buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.
    Why is will incorrect in "Initial version B*"? I thought will was correct because the sentence was about the future.

Last edited:
    Note that English, unlike Russian and many other languages does not necessarily match (in tense) clauses regarding the future.
    For example. When I see you, I will be happy. (or inverted order). This is fine. There is no need,--indeed here it's awkward, non-native-- to add 'will': "When I will see you..." or inverted "...when I will see you."

Last edited:

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks bennymix. Can I use "were" instead of "were to be"?

Suppose you were to buy a ticket and go to that amusement park tomorrow. If you were there for three hours when your ticket expired, you would buy another ticket to stay there for three more hours.

< Previous | Next >