ignore / neglect / overlook

Yichen

Chinese
Hello everyone,

Of the three words, I think I know their general differences; however, when it comes to picking out the correct options, things are different.:D

1). We could not afford to _________ such a serious offence.
2). He utterly ________ my warnings and met with an accident.
3). Don’t ________ paying him a visit now and then.
A. ignore
B. neglect
C. overlook
(using their proper forms)

For 1, I think ABC all work (not too sure about "neglect"), but "overlook' is the best. It is said "overlook" is usually used when someone ignores something bad
For 2, "my warnings" is not possibly a thing for one to "forget" to do, so I think B is impossible but AC both work.
For 3, only B works.

Which is the correct answer to each question?

Many many thanks.

Last edited:
  • Truffula

English - USA
    You seem to be pretty close to correct in all three cases.

1) The best choice, as you state, is "overlook." And "ignore" is also possible. "Neglect" sounds wrong.
    2) In this one, "ignored" is the best choice, and the only one that sounds right to me.
    3) As you say, only "neglect" works here.

So:
    A) "ignore" is when you consciously pretend or act as though something doesn't exist.
    B) "neglect" is when you fail to do something you should have done, or to take care of something you should have taken care of.
    C) "overlook" is when you consciously or unconsciously act as though something doesn't exist that you should have taken care of.

There is a certain amount of overlap in all three, but mostly they are distinguishable.

"Don't _____ your chores!" could be any of the three, but the meaning would vary a bit.

He has been ignoring his children's cries for attention, neglecting their care and overlooking their lack of discipline.

juanpide

You seem to be pretty close to correct in all three cases.

1) The best choice, as you state, is "overlook." And "ignore" is also possible. "Neglect" sounds wrong.
    2) In this one, "ignored" is the best choice, and the only one that sounds right to me.
    3) As you say, only "neglect" works here.

So:
    A) "ignore" is when you consciously pretend or act as though something doesn't exist.
    B) "neglect" is when you fail to do something you should have done, or to take care of something you should have taken care of.
    C) "overlook" is when you consciously or unconsciously act as though something doesn't exist that you should have taken care of.

There is a certain amount of overlap in all three, but mostly they are distinguishable.

"Don't _____ your chores!" could be any of the three, but the meaning would vary a bit.

He has been ignoring his children's cries for attention, neglecting their care and overlooking their lack of discipline.

What about disregard?

Truffula

English - USA
    I think "disregard" works in many cases the same as "ignore" or "overlook."

The meaning of disregard is to pay no attention to or attribute no importance to. This is similar to overlook and ignore in some ways, but not exactly equivalent.

< Previous | Next >