ignored her <rollcall> of sixty years’ philanthropy

thetazuo

Chinese - China
“Their faces were distorted by hate and lust for revenge,” she wrote. “I went out and faced them. I told them, ‘To fire from the shelter of the American Colony is the same as firing from a mosque,’ ” but they ignored her rollcall of sixty years’ philanthropy and threatened to kill her if she did not withdraw.

Excerpt From
Jerusalem
Simon Sebag Montefiore
This material may be protected by copyright.

Hi. What does “rollcall” mean in this context? The definition “the reading of a list of names to a group of people” doesn’t seem to apply here.
Thank you.

• KHS

I think it means a long list of the good (philanthropic) things that she has done over the previous 60 years. In other words, they didn't care how many good things she had done, they would kill her if she didn't leave.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I think it means a long list of the good (philanthropic) things that she has done over the previous 60 years. In other words, they didn't care how many good things she had done, they would kill her if she didn't leave.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The writer is using the word in an unusual way, rather than using its standard meaning. Posts #2 and #3 explain the writer's meaning.

A more normal word would be "record", instead of "rollcall".

< Previous | Next >