Ignored user threads causing confusion

Copyright

American English
If you ignore someone who is a thread-starter, their post is not displayed, so it appears that the second poster is the thread starter.

When you search for previous threads to post in response to someone’s question – and a possible thread was started by someone on your Ignore list – you can't tell if that person's question is actually relevant unless you Unignore the person in order to read their message.

Being able to "Click to peek" would be nice.

Also, there is a message in small type under the subject line that says who started the thread and when (which I’ve only now noticed). This appears on my computer and my iPad, but not on my iPhone.

Edited to simplify.

Edited again to add that Swift pointed out that there is a "Show Ignored Content" link below the last post in the thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hello, Copyright. :)

I added you to my ignore list for an experiment. I'm using Chrome on an iPhone 6 plus.

1. Click on your username. Click on “Ignore”.
    2. Go back to C&S main page to check the latest threads. Yours (this one) won't appear on that list when I use either the vertical and the landscape view.
    3. Scroll down and click on “Show Ignored Content”. Your thread now appears on the list.
    4. Search for “Safari” in this very forum. Your post won't appear in the results, even though it's the most recent mention of “Safari” within this forum.
    5. Go to the bottom of the results (first page) and click on “Show Ignored Content”. Your post becomes visible in that results page. :)
    6. I will post this message now and go back to this forum's main page to find out whether the forum software behaves as it did in Step 2. Then I'll come back here to share my findings. :D

swift

I'm back! :D

7. Even though my previous post (#3) was the most recent activity in this forum, the forum won't show your thread on top of the recent threads list. I had to click on “Show Ignored Content” again in order to make your thread visible.
    8. P.S. I stopped ignoring you. ;) :p
    9. Bonus. I guess that you were able to see some posts to that thread started by one of the persons you chose to ignore because they were visible in your “News Feed”—I suppose that you are following one of the participants.

Copyright

American English
    Speaking as one cat to another, it's my bedtime now ... but I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks. ;)

Thank you for not ignoring me. :)

I wasn't aware of the "Show Ignored Content" link below the last post in the thread, which solves everything.* Thanks so much. ;)

*Of course if there are 95 messages in the thread, you have to go to the bottom of the second page and click it before returning to the top of the first page. It would be nice to have this link at the top of posts, but I'm just happy it exists.

Thanks again, Swift.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I find the "ignore" function very useful, and certainly beneficial to my blood pressure, but in practice it can cause problems.

In a thread there's no indication that a member you are ignoring has posted, so you run the risk of talking at cross purposes or misunderstanding what's going on in the thread. The only indication that an 'ignored' member has posted something is that the post numbers will jump from, say, #8 to #10 because said member has posted #9 and you can't see it.

Correction - it isn't the only indication: there is the "Show ignored content" over on the right hand side, but it always fails to catch my eye.

I think it would be really helpful if there were a line of text indicating that an ignored member has posted something. I seem to remember there was one with the previous system.

Copyright

American English
    I think that something more obvious would be a great help. I just Unignored someone and checked a thread that he/she started and ended and then put them on the Ignore list again and checked the thread again – totally confused, even though I knew what to expect. So when I don't remember to look for ignored content, it's even more confusing.

Any help, Mike?

Kelly B

USA English
    I don't know whether the software here will support it, but on another forum I visit from time to time, there's another option in addition to ignoring users you prefer to avoid - you can change the look of their avatars. We'll call it the avoid function. For users we select individually, the software will display AVOID with a red field, or a plain red field, or a red warning circle, or whatever, to replace the cat picture or blue question mark or whatever we usually see for that user. This reminds me not to interact with you, but I can still see what you said.

Is something like that possible here, Mike? Or can the regular ignore feature be set to work this way?

JamesM

I think that something more obvious would be a great help. I just Unignored someone and checked a thread that he/she started and ended and then put them on the Ignore list again and checked the thread again – totally confused, even though I knew what to expect. So when I don't remember to look for ignored content, it's even more confusing.

Any help, Mike?

If you want to ignore someone, don't you want to ignore their posts? I don't quite understand. Of course it's confusing to see only part of a conversation but aren't you the one who asked to suppress the posts of that particular person?

Looking at it from a programmer's point of view it seems like a strange reaction, as if someone said, "I said to hide all posts from Lisa on Facebook and now I don't see her replies on other people's posts, either. I don't want to see her posts but I don't want to miss out on the contents of her posts, either." It's either one or the other, isn't it?

I suppose you could have a placeholder that showed an empty post with a message saying, "Content suppressed per your Ignore settings" but that seems a little clunky to me. That might make it clearer, at least. You'd know that something had been posted and why you're not seeing it.

Kelly B

USA English
    JamesM said:
    If you want to ignore someone, don't you want to ignore their posts?
    I've had one person irritate me enough that I do not want to answer any question he asks. Ignoring him would be one way to ensure that I don't. The problem with that, though, is that he does ask interesting questions. :rolleyes: I don't want to miss out on the equally interesting responses that people I do like and respect will offer in those threads. So I don't want to ignore what he says, I just want a reminder that I should not get involved. I hope that makes sense (not that I'm the person you asked, anyway. :D)

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    As I recall, the "Ignored User Content" – or whatever the message is – is in the same color as all the other text ... and i'ts at the bottom of the post. If it were in Red and positioned at the top of the thread, I would immediately be alerted. Instead, I am completely baffled, especially if the Ignored User was the thread-starter, until I get to the Ah-ha! moment at the bottom of the thread. (And frankly, until swift told me about that in this thread, I wasn't even aware of it.)

Not the best placement I've ever seen for a warning label. :)

Copyright

American English
    I still have the same problems above with Ignored users.

Yes, I want to ignore them, but I also want to understand the continuity of a thread. I sent a Conversation to a moderator the other day suggesting that an answer didn't make sense and maybe it was misposted. Instead, I learned the mod was replying to someone on my Ignore list.

Having the "Show Ignored Content" at the bottom of a thread, and in the same blue color as everything else, is problematic. What would be great is to have the Ignored person's post appear as just a slim bar with a name and no content – or just a slim bar that said "Ignored member." And then we could click it if we wanted to see the post. That would be the best way to maintain visual continuity, although the Xenforo software may not allow that.

Alternatively, a "Show Ignored Content" in red at the top of a thread would help. I would never go to the bottom of a thread to see if the "Show Ignored Content" link was there ... on the off chance that someone I was ignoring had posted in that thread. As it is now, I have to read the entire thread, which suddenly doesn't make sense at some point, and then remember, "Oh, there may be an Ignored member in this thread."

Loob

English UK
    I second Copyright's request. I'm frequently misled by the present arrangements:(.

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    I don't second Copyright's request, at least not as it is.

On the one hand, I for one would rather not relax how ignored members are currently ignored. Psychologically, emotionally, it works much better not to see them at all. It is as if they were not there. And I remember quite well not finding it very helpful back then, when ignored people and content were only partially hidden. I couldn't help have a look just to get annoyed.

I think it would be even more helpful if an ignored member's reply to someone else's thread didn't show up in the forum list at all, not even as by some "Ignored Member" as it currently is.

On the other, I see how misleading this can be, and that there are users we want to ignore to some extent but not completely. So, perhaps, a more appropriate request would be to split the category of ignored member in two: say, completely ignored members (hidden everywhere) and partially ignored members (click and peek), or else to allow us to ignore some members' replies but still be able to read any OP whatever, etc.

What we need is to be able to decide how we want to ignore them.

Maybe a table with ignored users in the first column, and check boxes with what to ignore in the other columns?

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Another mistake on my part this evening because of the way posts by "ignored posters" are handled. Can we please - pretty please - go back to something resembling the previous system?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Another mistake on my part this evening because of the way posts by "ignored posters" are handled. Can we please - pretty please - go back to something resembling the previous system?

What Loob says, and possibly more so.
    Pretty-Please-m18.jpg

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    We shouldn't go back to the previous system. What we need is an improved system that allows us to sort ignored users into 2 categories: completely or partially ignored users.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yet again I get told off in a thread for ignoring someone's post.

What are you suppose to do when you are ignoring someone because of their annoying habit of telling people off for ignoring their posts, and then you get told off for ignoring their post? :D

Kelly B

USA English
    In my Other Favorite Forum, there's a feature that allows me to identify users I don't want to interact with by marking their avatars. For example, your avatar (or the empty box where an avatar would be) might be covered with a wash of a certain color, or have a Do Not Enter bar across it. I wonder whether Xenforo allows something like that. The post content could be greyed out, but still left in place for continuity's sake, leaving the reader the option of reading it or not. I don't mind seeing the responses, I simply don't want to answer certain people. (this is essentially a way to implement the two-level suggestion.)
    600pxnosignsvgdi7.png

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I just discovered the new in-line way of displaying Ignored Users – it's the best approach yet. Thanks, Mike. :thumbsup:

Copyright

American English
    You'll stumble across it like I did when one of your Ignored Users is in a thread.

Or you can go to your Ignored Users list, click on one of the members, go to Profile so you can see their posts (you'll have to click Show Ignored Content), and then click one of the posts to go to that thread – unfortunately, when I just did that to make sure it worked, I saw the old system of displaying Ignored Users – which doesn't display at all. It's just the usual "Show Ignored Content" at the end of a thread.

So then I tried to find the thread where I saw the new display, thinking it was one I was subscribed to ... but it wasn't. So I don't know what to tell you now. When I run across one again, I'll let you know.

Loob

English UK
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago: I stumbled on something that looked just like the previous system, then couldn't reproduce it:(.

Copyright

American English
    Here you go – this is what appears in the thread. And if the user has an avatar, you’ll see that too. I’ve blocked out this member’s name, but it all appears as normal, readable text in real life. :)

9B803A1E-2FC8-4A5F-8948-3927C2B7D95E.jpeg

Loob

English UK
    I only seem to get that message if
    - the front page of the forum lists "Ignored member" as the latest poster in a thread started by someone else
    - I click on that latest post.

Edit
    I've since realised that I also get that message if I go via the ignored person's profile, and hit "Show Ignored Content" as in your post 23.

If the ignored person's post is in the middle of a thread, I don't see an equivalent message: the only clue is that the post numbers jump from, say, #1 to #3.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    My conclusion is .... if we still have problems with the way the system deals with "ignored members", then we're just going to have to live with those problems.

Copyright

American English
    We're back to the "Show Ignored Content" after the last post in the thread – no more in-line indication that an Ignored User is taking up space there, and rendering someone's response to that Ignored User totally confusing. That's the same confusion that prompted this thread. Too bad.

swift

Apparently, the behavior Mr. Copyright reported is normal with XenForo. The reason people see a partially hidden post could be a) that they clicked on a link to the latest unread post and said post was sent by Ignored User or b) they clicked on a direct link to one of Ignored User’s posts. If the landing page is refreshed, the reminder that you are ignoring that person will disappear altogether, and you’ll have to scroll down until you see the Show Ignored Content link if you still want to read what you’d previously told the system you’d like it to prevent you from seeing.

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Well on my iPad I don’t see any Show ignored content link when I scroll down.
    I do know the link exists as when I log in on my PC I have seen it, and occasionally too the inline indication that there is an ignored post. I think I can live with it, after all we choose to ignore certain members for a reason.

Copyright

American English
    Well on my iPad I don’t see any Show ignored content link when I scroll down.
    Interesting ... I just tested it on my iPad Pro 12.9-inch and my iPad Mini and "Show Ignored Content" appears at the bottom of both in the same thread where an Ignored User has posted.

Copyright

American English
    Perhaps because mine is such an old model of the mini iPad.
    Hmm, I wouldn't think so. It's just a display device. I have the iPad Mini 2, for what it's worth – I bought an early model last year (even though the Mini 4 was for sale right beside it) simply to use as a Kindle device, no other purpose really. :)

Copyright

American English
    Have you tried landscape mode to see if that makes a difference in what's displayed? I know it makes a difference on the iPhone.

L'irlandais

I have one of those flip stand cases which supports the iPad in a Landscape orientation.
    I have noticed, on other websites, that lots of confirmation pop-ups which appear on my PC without any problem, are not visible/supported on this mini iPad.

L'irlandais

Yeah, thanks for your suggestions. I am personally fine about not even being aware of the ignored content. It ensures I make a considered choice about why I would ignore somebody’s posts. That done, I am comfortable that any potential confusion has been minimised. Up to now, those who I have added to the ignore list have generally been subsequently banned from the forum. I just use it to spare myself the heartache of their provocations in the meantime.

Copyright

American English
    For years my Ignore list was ignored – no one on it – but in the last couple of years I've seen its value in maintaining a normal blood pressure and removing the temptation to respond to people I'm better off, well, ignoring.

The problem for me is not seeing any indication that there is a missing message, so I'm left puzzled at reading at message that seems to have no relevancy to the thread. And here's the reason that I will always be momentarily puzzle: I'm not sent an email notification when an Ignored member posts, but only when someone else replies to that post.

So when I receive a notification and click over to read the reply and it doesn't make logical or chronological sense, It's only after a while that I think, "Oh, yes, one of my Ignored members may have posted and is being replied to." Then I go down to the bottom and turn on the "Show Ignored Content" to see if I'm correct.

If there were some sort of "Ignored member" indication in-line, then I wouldn't be confused and I wouldn't have to click "Show Ignored Content" just to see the progression of posts – an operation that invariably reminds me why that person is on my Ignored list. :)

swift

I’m not quite sure things were better with the old inline display. Some moderators basically discourage ignoring people for a long period of time. I remember an Ignored User who got offended by the fact that I wasn’t replying to their comments. My decision was to stop interacting with that person and, since their behavior was very predictable in terms of grammar topics and forums, it was pretty easy to manage to avoid them. However, I was sometimes invited to comment on a thread where Ignored User had been participating, and some of the information I contributed either was repetitive or partially contradicted what they had previously said (sometimes more than two times in the same thread). When that happened, Ignored User quoted my post and tried to engage and have me—and everyone else involved in that thread—confirm they were right. :D It was a nightmare.

What I do is put people on the Ignore list temporarily. If Ignored User’s behavior is harmful to the forum’s atmosphere, try to engage one of the moderators and explain why you think they should step in. That has worked in the past, and I don’t see a reason for it not working now.

If the reason you are ignoring that person is that you don’t like them (for whatever reason: their style, the kind of questions they ask, their avatar, their signature, their misleading answers...), I think you will have to live with the confusion. :(

Copyright

American English
    I'm not complaining so much as discussing. :) I like the forum enough that I will put up with whatever foibles it has. So my comments are really related to the software – it seems to me that a single discreet line, not much bigger than the full-width blue line at the top of each post, saying "Ignored user post" as a marker would save a lot of confusion. That's all. I don't want to see their name or their avatar – just a footprint. :D

Fortunately, the moderators of the English Only forum don't discourage our ignoring people. Once upon a time, I didn't ignore anyone, but times change and tolerance changes, so I see the value in it now. I did have one Ignored member write me and ask why I was no longer answering his questions and I told him. He assured me that he was a changed person, so I reinstated him, and he's still "live." :)

Great cat, by the way. ;)

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Would it help to change the formatting of "Show Ignored Content"? I could put it in red or bold and left-justify it to make it quite hard to miss.

L'irlandais

AF71079B-CFBA-4360-BE29-B0AAF5A194E0.jpeg Hi Mike,
    I am not sure the problem is strictly one of visibility. Perhaps my case is untypical, but I only see the Show ignored context, if the ignored member happens to have been the last one to post in the discussion. Nine times out of ten there simply is no indication that a member on my ignore list has contributed to the discussion.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

34195BC3-7511-4BF6-A225-CD147BDD72CB.png The only indication being that the Post numbers jump to #453

Presumably changing it to red will only aid visibility in the image in my #44. Unless this change might make the thin blue line ( in images in #45 & #46) between posts red, in which case that would solve it.

Last edited:

swift

Perhaps my case is untypical, but I only see the Show ignored context, if the ignored member happens to have been the last one to post in the discussion.
    As explained above, that is the expected behavior. XenForo will show the inline indication when you click on the timestamp, for instance, or on the thread title, and the link pointing to the latest unread message is a post by Ignored User.
    Would it help to change the formatting of "Show Ignored Content"? I could put it in red or bold and left-justify it to make it quite hard to miss.
    Hi, Mike. :) Perhaps moving it on top of the page and use red boldface? That would only solve part of the problem, though. If it’s a long thread (say, 20-30 posts on a page), and you click on the latest unread post, and there are 10-15 more posts after that, you won’t see any indication whatsoever unless you scroll down.

swift

Let me do an experiment. I’ll post my findings to this thread.

swift

OK, @L'irlandais. Do you confirm there are posts by Ignored User in the specific page you’re looking at? I just did an experiment. I added one of the multiple contributors to the Palintropes thread, to my Ignored list. Then I clicked on page 157 and noticed there is no indication of the Ignored Content because Ignored User has no recent posts on the latest page. If you’re navigating a long thread, you will only see the Ignored Content indication when/if there are posts by Ignored User on that specific page.