Ignored user threads causing confusion

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
Yes, dozens of posts on that specific page by the *ignored member. I unignored them in order to count how many. The idea of recent doesn’t wash, since they had just posted minutes before Eno added his contribution; even as recent as that was no longer visible.
*(Very prolific member, partly why they figure on my list.)

Here is the inline version of ignored posts on another website (using vBulletin software) which I frequent.
45FD3FA1-2F74-48DC-BE94-4F83B730ED1A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    Would it help to change the formatting of "Show Ignored Content"? I could put it in red or bold and left-justify it to make it quite hard to miss.
    I'm grateful for your interest, Mike. But I don't think the colouration or placing of the end-of-thread "Show Ignored Content" is the issue here. What I'm looking for - and what I think Copyright is also looking for - is a statement at the appropriate point in the thread indicating that a post has been rendered invisible because the poster is on my 'ignore list'. Nothing particularly interesting or sexy: just an indication that there's a post which is not visible.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    I see now that Xenforo allows me to set it up so that it will show "You are ignoring content by this member" where the post would be. Is this what everybody wants? I can change it.

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    From what I found browsing XenForo-powered forums, this is all their fault. They implemented an add-on at some point, but you had to pay for it to be available. I suppose with the latest update they decided to reinstate the code for this. Lots of unhappy users all over the place.

Loob

English UK
    I see now that Xenforo allows me to set it up so that it will show "You are ignoring content by this member" where the post would be. Is this what everybody wants? I can change it.
    Yes - yes - yes - yes - yessss! Thank you, Mike!
    Can you remind me why it changed before? Was it due to the switch from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am wondering if there was a good reason why it changed.
    Yes, it was the switch. With vBulletin we always had in-thread messages about invisible posts - just like the one in post 51.

I'm so glad you can do this!:D:thumbsup::D:thumbsup::D

Copyright

American English
    Yes, please. Something subtle would be nice, too. And I don't even have to know someone's name (who wants to be reminded?), but if it's necessary, I can live with it.

Just some sort of marker in-line in place of the missing post.

(I knew there was a reason I woke up at 04:30.) :D

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    I made some changes. What do you think?

- Now you get a placeholder for the message.
    - The username shows, but not the avatar. I figured that if you didn't much care for somebody, you probably didn't want to see their avatar. I could get rid of the name, too, if you want!

swift

Sweet! It works! :D Thanks, Mike!
    I figured that if you didn't much care for somebody, you probably didn't want to see their avatar.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I could get rid of the name, too, if you want!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    That would be great too!

Loob

English UK
    Mike, that's great - thank you *so* much!

I'm happy to see no avatar, but unlike Swifty, I'd like to carry on seeing the username. I ignore people for a range of reasons: the username is a useful pointer to whether, on a particular occasion, I should "click" and see the post content.

That said, I won't die in a ditch either way. I'm just delighted to see these notifications reinstated!

siares

Slovak
    Wasn't quoted content by an ignored person visible fully just a second ago or am I going crazy?
    Now when someone quotes a post by an ignored member, the whole of the quote is again invisible to the ignorer.
    A ignores X, numbering could go..

3 - post by X
    4 - post by A
    5 - my post: I quote X and say: You are wrong:p.
    7 - post by A: How dare you tell me I am wrong!

siares

Slovak
    I thought maybe Mike twiddled with it in that short time span.

In that case, the teachers can still be a bit lost if the leaner quotes two pieces of advice, one unignored and the second ignored - both the learner's follow up questions will appear to react to the unignored quoted post and be confusing.

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, siares, you've lost me.

I'm still over the moon about Mike's change.:D

swift

I'm sorry, siares, you've lost me.
    I think I understand, but it think it all comes down to what we’ve said before—ignoring people can and will create confusion however their messages are displayed.

Loob

English UK
    .. it all comes down to what we’ve said before—ignoring people can and will create confusion however their messages are displayed.
    I don't think that's true, Don Swifty. The "standard" Xenforo arrangement has enormous potential for confusion. But the change Mike has just made will reduce that to zero.

pointvirgule

langue française
    Yes, to me it's perfect the way it is at this time.
    ... Except for one wee thing: attached files posted by ignored users still show up.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I’ll say up front that I’m happy with the solution. I like not seeing avatars, and while I would prefer not to see names, it’s no big deal to see them.

I had imagined that you would be able to click on individual Ignored messages to show the content of just that particular message, but I quickly learned that if you click “Show Ignored Content” in a message, it reveals all Ignored Content in the thread ... for all Ignored members, not just that one person.

Again, I can live with that – and appreciate that we now have in-line markers. I just thought it might be a little more specific to a particular message. Since it’s not, I’ll find something else in life to be concerned about. ;)

Thanks, Mike!

Loob

English UK
    I thought maybe Mike twiddled with it in that short time span.

In that case, the teachers can still be a bit lost if the leaner quotes two pieces of advice, one unignored and the second ignored - both the learner's follow up questions will appear to react to the unignored quoted post and be confusing.
    I'm sorry for not understanding before, siares. I've just seen an example, where A misunderstood a question from B because B had quoted a post from C and that quote wasn't visible to A, evidently because C was on A's ignore list.

I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that: Mike, would it be possible to have a placeholder when an ignored member's post is quoted?

(I'm still delighted about the general change!:))

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    One thing I just discovered is that if your Ignored Member starts a thread, you'll never know.
    Some moderators basically discourage ignoring people for a long period of time.
    I took swift's comment to heart and thought I would keep a better eye on who I'm ignoring and consider unignoring them. But if I'm evaluating their ongoing posting style, I won't know what sort of threads they're starting without a marker for thread-starters.

Just an observation. :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    One thing I just discovered is that if your Ignored Member starts a thread, you'll never know.
    [...]

Right at the bottom of each page of thread titles there is a link: "show ignored content".

If you hover the mouse over it, it shows which (if any) ignored members have posted in that page of threads, and if you click on it you can see any new threads they may have posted.

(I'm delighted with Mike's new solution to the problem.)

Copyright

American English
    Right at the bottom of each page of thread titles there is a link: "show ignored content".

If you hover the mouse over it, it shows which (if any) ignored members have posted in that page of threads, and if you click on it you can see any new threads they may have posted.
    As usual, I hadn't seen it, nor did I realize that there was a "hover" feature – thanks, vel. :)

I guess one of the problems I've always had is that "Show Ignored Content" is at the bottom of the page. So I have to scroll to the bottom, check to see which Ignored members have posted on that page, decide to click it to display those threads, and then scroll to the top of the page to read the posts the way I like to read them – beginning with the latest first.

It seems that if "Show Ignored Content" were at the top , it would be a lot simpler and more obvious – perhaps to the left of "Moderators" and "Watch Forum." And in red would be nice (for me, anyway), but bold is not necessary. Even red isn't required – just a shift to the top of the page.

I just checked the current behavior, by the way, for anyone who hasn't:

On the main page: hover over "Show Ignored Content" at the bottom of the page and you will see who has started a thread on that page.
    Click that "Show Ignored Content" like and all threads by all Ignored members on that page will be displayed.
    Click on an individual thread by an Ignored member and you will enter the thread, but the posts by that member will remain hidden.
    Click "Show Ignored Content" in that thread and all posts by all Ignored members in that thread will be displayed.

I'm beginning to think I might just Unignore everyone and develop some self-control. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    A little while ago, I released all 15 of my detainees from the damp cellar where I was holding them into the light of day. Soon after that, I answered a question from one of my formerly Ignored members and received this in reply ...

:D Thanks.

So far, so good. :cool:

swift

I don't see a way to do that without a lot of work. I might try again after we move to Xenforo 2.0 in a few months.
    Thanks, Mike. Meanwhile, would it be possible to add the Show Ignored Content link on top of the forum page, as @Copyright suggested?

Loob

English UK
    I don't see a way to do that without a lot of work. I might try again after we move to Xenforo 2.0 in a few months.
    Thank you for looking into it, Mike. And thank you again for the change you've already made!:thumbsup::D

swift

I've noticed that a member I'm ignoring can see a thread posted by me and is posting in that. Does it work like that?
    These are language forums, not social media. Social media provide you with the decision rights to block accounts you dislike. A forum is a space for open discussions where anyone is welcome to chime in and contribute their ideas. If you dislike someone so much that, after putting them on your ignore list, you still can’t help but display their posts, I’m afraid the issue is not the person you’re trying to ignore, since they are not notified of the fact that someone has decided to put them on their ignore list.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I've noticed that a member I'm ignoring can see a thread posted by me and is posting in that. Does it work like that?
    Thanks.
    Even if they couldn't, a really determined member could visit the forum while logged out, just to see what you were up to.:cool:

Please don't let anyone put you off, emp. You're a valued member here :). When things get back to normal, I hope we'll all of us have less time on our hands and more interesting things to do than get into "fights" online.

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    Thanks. In that case, the best option is I stop using the forum.
    Someone you ignore can see your posts unless he decides to ignore you too.
    But that shouldn't bother you. If you ignore him, you'll never see what he posts, even if what he posts is in response to your post, and even if he decides to tag you. The person stops existing for you.

These are language forums, not social media. Social media provide you with the decision rights to block accounts you dislike. A forum is a space for open discussions where anyone is welcome to chime in and contribute their ideas. If you dislike someone so much that, after putting them on your ignore list, you still can’t help but display their posts, I’m afraid the issue is not the person you’re trying to ignore, since they are not notified of the fact that someone has decided to put them on their ignore list.
    Precisely.
    Also forum guests can read your posts in the public forums and there is no way you can prevent them from doing it.

Loob

English UK
    Earlier in this thread, Mike Kellogg introduced placeholders to indicate where an Ignored Member has posted. Those placeholders now seem to have disappeared :(.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Earlier in this thread, Mike Kellogg introduced placeholders to indicate where an Ignored Member has posted. Those placeholders now seem to have disappeared :(.
    Thank you, Loob! I saw an edit in a template that didn't make sense to me. I thought it was an old edit that didn't affect anything and decided to revert it. I knew somebody would tell me if it had an adverse effect.

Anyway, I've restored that edit and placeholders for ignored members should be back.