il arrive

< Previous | Next >

cheshirecat

Australia
hi!
what exactly does 'il arrive' mean...for example, 'il arrive aujourd'hui'.... i think i might have a vague understanding of it in a sentence, but it sounds rather weird when you translate it as 'it happens today...' what's the closest english equivalent for this expression?
Thank you all!

• somody

English
    Il arrive aujourd'hui literally means "it happens today". "He arrives today" and other things can be interpreted, but it really means that an event will occur or take place on this day.

cheshirecat

Australia
    Thanks for that, but I think I should have made it clearer what I was trying to ask. I mean to say in sentences like 'Il arrive souvent que vous ayiez' or 'Il ne peut m'arriver pire...' I find that when i translate, it sounds clumsy or awkward.

Agnès E.

France, French
    Bonjour Cheshirecat,
    Bienvenue sur le forum !

It's rather formal but not clumsy nor awkward. Actually, it is even fairly good French! :)

For: "il ne peut m'arriver pire" you've got "nothing worse could happen to me", which doesn't sound awkward to me.
    For: "il arrive souvent que vous ayiez...", you may sometimes rephrase the whole thing. One example off the top of my head: "il arrive souvent que vous ayiez chaud après avoir couru" > "you often feel hot after running".
    Does that make sense?
    J-J

< Previous | Next >