Il Collegio

McBabe

English- British
Evening everyone,

I'm in the middle of translating this horrible legal text about an insurance claim against (possible) arson, but am stuck on "Il Collegio". I was wondering if it is a specific term known by anyone?
Context:

"Il Collegio a maggionanza, pertanto, con il dissenso non specificamente motivato di X....stabiliva che il danno da incendio.....rientrava tra le garanzie di base..."

I won't give you the whole sentence, as it is 18 lines long ;)

Could it simply be "The Board" (of insurers)?

I know there is not a great deal of context but that is all the context I have at my disposal! Will appreciate any help :)

• McBabe

English- British
    Yes I have, the problem is that there is no adjective to describe "Il Collegio" such as sindacale, notarile etc which one would normally expect in such a text.

nena0087

italian
    Yes I have, the problem is that there is no adjective to describe "Il Collegio" such as sindacale, notarile etc which one would normally expect in such a text.
    "collegio a maggioranza"= means a reunion where majority of the members vote yes, or approve a sentence with a positive or negative response.

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    "collegio a maggioranza"= means a reunion where majority of the members vote yes, or approve a sentence with a positive or negative response.
    Sorry Nena, this makes very little sense in English.:confused:

• A reunion is when long-lost friends or fellow students meet again. You probably meant board meeting or some such.
    • A sentence is either a "grammatical unit" or a "judicial decree". I'm not sure either case applies here.
    • And finally, approve [something] with a positive or negative response has me stumped.
    Could you post your contribution in Italian? I'm sure we can then translate it into English.

Mary49

Italian
    I agree with Teerex; moreover, here "a maggioranza" means that the board is composed of more than half of its members. Am I right?

ginestre

A collegio is usually a formally-constituted group of appropriately qualified people who can deliberate on some specific matter with legal effect. Is there not some definition of where this particular collegio comes from, earlier in the document? Otherwise I think I'm lost.

< Previous | Next >