Il conferimento dei dati e consenso al trattamento sono liberi e facoltativi

Andrew W

English - UK
Morning all,

I'm translating a privacy policy drafted by a company for its customers and it is very similar to the one here: http://www.hotelsansimone.it/Privacy.pdf

In it, we have "I dati potranno essere utilizzati, previo vostro consenso, per finalità di carattere commerciale di prodotti e servizi di terze parti. Per tale specifica finalità conferimento dei dati e consenso al trattamento sono liberi e facoltativi".

Does the part in bold mean *you* may freely share and consent to the processing of data? Of course I could convey this in the passive to be on the safe side, but "the transfer of data and consent to processing are on a free and optional basis" feels overly literal.

Thanking you,

Please put only the ORIGINAL sentence in the title, thanks.
How to choose a thread title

Last edited:
  • Starless74

Italiano
    "the transfer of data and consent to processing are on a free and optional basis" feels overly literal.
    I can't speak about a better way of putting it in English, but that's exaclty what the Italian text means.

The company may only process the data [whatever the purpose] upon the other party's prior consent;
    said consent and the provision itself of the data are therefore optional on the other party's part (forgive the pun).