Il legno, materia del mio artigianato

Kim Gordon

Spanish - Latin America
Hi guys!
Il legno, materia del mio artigianato

I'm having trouble translating this phrase. It's from an artisan's website (introduction), and I need to translate it into English.

My (lame) try:

- Wood, the material of my crafts? It sound horrible to my ears :(

I definitely need help!

Thanks!

Write the sentence also in the first post, not only in the title, thanks

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Is it a heading ? A caption to a photo of a log? Part of a sentence? I can think of various options, but they depend on context.

Kim Gordon

Spanish - Latin America
    Is it a heading ? A caption to a photo of a log? Part of a sentence? I can think of various options, but they depend on context.

It's a heading. The artisan then goes on to describe her work in a sort of "poetic" tone.

Thank you!

Hi, Kim Gordon and Hi, Gianfry! To my ear, "matter" is not quite right - I'd go with "raw material" as one possibility:
    Wood - the raw material of my craft/craftmanship

Thanks! "Raw material" could work. I've just included a brief description of the context. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at it and see if you have any other ideas ;). Thanks again.

Gianfry

Italian
    Hi, Kim Gordon and Hi, Gianfry! To my ear, "matter" is not quite right - I'd go with "raw material" as one possibility:
    Wood - the raw material of my craft/craftmanship
    Hi, Joan!

Sì, ho usato "matter" perché avevo la sensazione che ci fosse un intento "poetico", come poi Kim ha confermato.
    Un linguaggio un po' pomposo, insomma :)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Maybe "Wood: the substance of my craft." "Substance" has sort of the same double meaning as "matter," but the two meanings (material / basis) might work better in the context than those of "matter," which are "material / issue (or question)."

Kim Gordon

Spanish - Latin America
    Maybe "Wood: the substance of my craft." "Substance" has sort of the same double meaning as "matter," but the two meanings (material / basis) might work better in the context than those of "matter," which are "material / issue (or question)."
    Perfect! Substance works perfectly well. Thank you all!