il libro trova nella libreria, il luogo in cui l'incontro tra artisti e lettori è non solo reale

arigfaber

italian
Hi everybody! how would you translate the sentence " (il libro) trova nella libreria il luogo in cui l'incontro tra artisti e lettori è non solo reale, ma ricco di scambi...".
Can you say: " the book finds in the bookshop a place where the meeting between artists and readers not only is real, but also full of exchanges..". Perhaps it is a too literal translation?

Devi inserire la frase ORIGINALE nel titolo del thread, "hard sentence "non ha significato
Come devo scegliere i titoli delle discussioni?

• AlabamaBoy

American English
    ...the (printed) book finds in the (brick and mortar traditional) bookshop a place where authors and readers not only meet in person, but [also] have a meaningful exchange of ideas.

Last edited:

MR1492

English -USA
    " (il libro) trova nella libreria il luogo in cui l'incontro tra artisti e lettori è non solo reale, ma ricco di scambi...".
    Is it just me or does it seem there is a significant part of this sentence missing and we are lacking context? This is the fragment of a sentence and there is a lot more in the original. To me, it appears the phrase is trying to say something like:

"...the printed book, found in a (traditional) bookstore which enables authors and readers to not only meet in person but have an exchange of ideas,....

To me, it's not about the book but about the bookstore.

Phil

AlabamaBoy

American English
    That's the wonderful thing about a forum. Diversity of ideas. To me the emphasis was on the paper book, which is still sold in bookstores. But I see your point of view because a paper book can be sold by mail and an ebook could be delivered in store.

MR1492

English -USA
    AB,

Since written Italian seems as devoid of commas as the Sahara is water, it's often difficult to figure out what some the subordinate clauses and phrases are describing. Plus, when all one is given is a fragment of a sentence, it does make comprehension a little more difficult than normal!

Phil

< Previous | Next >