il me transfère au lieu de l'Autre à sens perdu

satyrr

Turkish-Turkey
Bonjour/Hi,

Comment traduire cette partie colorée de la phrase ci-dessous qui s'inscrit dans un concept linguistico-psychanalytique:

"[...] Le son à l'orée de mon être, il me transfère au lieu de l'Autre à sens perdu, à perte de sens, à perte de vue."

Je propose:..it transfers me -with any meaning being lost, in a loss of meaning and of sight- to the place of the Other (?)

Merci/Thanks

• satyrr

Turkish-Turkey
    l'Autre (avec un "A"), sometimes referred to as the Great Other, is -simply put- the most important subject -primitively the mother and later the father- which we transfer all our feelings, love and hatred alike, and which makes us a human being by giving a sens, a verbal component to these feelings, thereby returning them to us, thus shaping us. Therefore one becomes human through these interactions between himself and the Other, and later in life with many (smaller) others.

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    It is presumably the sound but what sound does he/she hear which transfers him/her to the "place" (where the Other is)?
    Also presumably this place where the Other exists is a place where meaning is lost, beyond normal "sense"/comprehension and out of sight.
    The place beyond is a place out of mind and out of sight because the sound is at the edge of his/her existence so the prepositions would be out of or beyond or even at the edge of.
    Very mystical, but your word sens is confusing me when you write it in English without the "e". I think meaning or comprehension is closer to the French than sense.

LART01

French-France
    It is presumably the sound but what sound does he/she hear which transfers him/her to the "place" (where the Other is)?
    Also presumably this place where the Other exists is a place where meaning is lost, beyond normal "sense"/comprehension and out of sight.
    The place beyond is a place out of mind and out of sight because the sound is at the edge of his/her existence so the prepositions would be out of or beyond or even at the edge of.
    Very mystical, but your word sens is confusing me when you write it in English without the "e". I think meaning or comprehension is closer to the French than sense.
    There is a kind of pun, play on words here with sens meaning "meaning" and "direction"

satyrr

Turkish-Turkey
    Sorry, It's totally my fault. Of course it's le sens = the sense, the meaning. I've inattentively omitted the last "e"

And about the sound: it's the sound, the voice of Other which makes this transfer possible.

My question is: In the sentence, is it me who is beyond, out of...etc. OR the place where the Other is?

Last edited:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    There's also a pun here with "orée"/"oreille." But you're going to have to decide what you want to translate and what's important to maintain in the translation. Here's my attempt:

"This sound, at the very limit of my hearing, transfers me in(to) the place of the Other, whose meaning has been lost, beyond the range of sight, beyond the range of meaning."

What's the source you're translating? More context could also help.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    If we are pun-hunting the "son" can be chaff/bran, which can be "à l'orée de mon être" if you are born in a manger:).

PS I thought l'Autre in psychoanalysis was usually Mr. Id (or Mrs Id for women).
    In Lacanian psychoanalysis, the voice is a liminal object that ties us to the Other, so "ear"/"fringe" makes sense as a pun. I don't think there's any big psychoanalytic pun on "son" as sawdust. Now, in the France Gall song, there's obviously a pun on "poupée de son"...

No, the "ça" is the id. The "Autre" or "autre" is the Other or other.

And in the unconscious there are no contradictions, so the id is radically genderless! There is no Mr. or Mrs. Id, just id. ;) There are Mr. and Mrs. Egos, though, as we know all too well...

Uncle Bob

British English
    In Lacanian psychoanalysis, the voice is a liminal object that ties us to the Other, so "ear"/"fringe" makes sense as a pun. I don't think there's any big psychoanalytic pun on "son" as sawdust. Now, in the France Gall song, there's obviously a pun on "poupée de son"...

No, the "ça" is the id. The "Autre" or "autre" is the Other or other.

And in the unconscious there are no contradictions, so the id is radically genderless! There is no Mr. or Mrs. Id, just id. ;) There are Mr. and Mrs. Egos, though, as we know all too well...
    As I put as the reason for deleting, I went to check ("cjeck" :():
    "L'Autre est le lieu où se situe la chaine du signifiant qui commande tout ce qui va pouvoir se présentifier du sujet, c'est le champ de ce vivant où le sujet a à apparaître". J.L., Le Seminaire livre XI, Seuil 1973 p. 185.

"Cjecking" done!

satyrr

Turkish-Turkey
    Thanks to you all for all the concern and responses. And here's a bit more context just in case:

"Que la musique soit le language de l'amour, les poètes le savaient depuis la nuit des temps pour suggérer que l'énamoration captée par la beauté aimée est cependant transcendée -précédée et guidée- par le signifiant idéal: son à l'orée de mon être, il me transfère au lieu de l'Autre à sens perdu, à perte de sens, à perte de vue... En résumé, l'identification fait être le sujet dans le signifiant de l'Autre."

< Previous | Next >