Il n’est pas nécessaire d’espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer

• Kelly B

USA English
    This is not a fixed expression as far as I know, but I would translate it as
    It is not necessary to be hopeful in order to try, nor to be successful in order to persevere.

The adjective forms for hopeful and successful are not direct translations, but I find them more clear. You could certainly stick to the infinitives if you prefer. What do you think?

ast

UK - english/french
    Yup, thats pretty much in line with my thinking...i was just curious to see if a similar saying existed in english.

Thanks!
    Ast x

Agnès E.

France, French
    It's not a set phrase, it is a famous quote from the king Guillaume d'Orange (don't know his name in English, sorry... :eek:) that is often used in French.

Aupick

UK, English
    I found these versions on the web:

"It is not necessary to hope in order to attempt, nor to succeed in order to persevere." (Source)
    "One need not hope in order to undertake; nor succeed in order to persevere." (Source)
    "It is not necessary to have hope in order to undertake an enterprise, nor to be successful in order to persevere." (Source)

But none of these is any better than the version of our very own Kelly B.

< Previous | Next >