il ne puisse accepter de se voir imposer...

Lazlow

British English
Bonjour

J'ai des problèmes avec la traduction de la phrase ci-dessous :

"...sans qu’en aucune façon il ne puisse accepter de se voir imposer la mise en œuvre d’une thérapeutique par la personne malade, quelle que soit la qualité de celle-ci"

Et le contexte :

"Il n’appartient en revanche qu’au médecin lui même de déterminer les mesures qu’appelle l’état d’un malade, sans qu’en aucune façon il ne puisse accepter de se voir imposer la mise en œuvre d’une thérapeutique par la personne malade, quelle que soit la qualité de celle-ci ; que par suite, la responsabilité du service hospitalier ne peut être atténuée au motif qu’un acte dommageable a été sollicité par le malade lui-même."

Mon tentative :

"It is, on the other hand, not only the task of the doctor him or herself to determine the measures that a particular state of health calls for, without being able to accept the implementation of a therapy being imposed by the patient, whatever their quality; that, as a result, the responsibility of the hospital service cannot be lessened on the basis that a harmful act was solicited by the patient him or herself."

Mais ma phrase en anglais veut rien dire, et je ne peux pas à rendre le sens plus clair !

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Hello, Lazlow! I can see why you've had trouble with this. It's a tough one, isn't it? I think the meaning is more or less this:

On the other hand (contrary?) it is the responsibility of the doctor himself to determine what measures the patient's condition requires, in no way allowing the patient to demand the implementation of any course of treatment, regardless of any qualifications he might have.

If I've got the right meaning, then the exact wording could be brushed up a bit, but hopefully that'll give you a start.

bloomiegirl

US English
    I think I would say something like: On the other hand, only the doctor has the authority to determine how to treat a patient's condition, without interference from the patient regarding the treatment to be implemented, regardless of the patient's situation...

EDIT: I took so long to type so little, compared to Seneca's much closer version.:thumbsup: At least we agree on the general idea. ;)

Lazlow

British English
    That's so much clearer, thanks so much Seneca! The text that this is from is about 4,000 words in the same vein, but this bit has been troubling me particularly badly, so you've helped out a lot! :)

< Previous | Next >