Il n'y a que les cons qui ne changent pas d'avis

newg

(France)-ais
Hello everyone ;)

Is there an expression in English to say that?
Literally I would propose :

Only stupid people don't change their mind.

Thanks in advance :)

• Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Why don't you say : "You have to be really thick to never change your mind" ?

"never" after "to" and not before.
    Hi newg,

This, below, might help. Think of "to be or not to be"... you wouldn't say "to be or to not be"
    10. Take care to never split infinitives. Wrong 10. Take care never to split infinitives. Correction
    An infinitive is the word 'to' followed by a verb. In these sentences, the infinitive is 'to split,' words that have been separated in the first example by the word 'never.' 'To' and its accompanying verb should always be together. Solutions
    Then again... there are arguments against that rule.

Among which this one :
    We are told to never split an infinitive — as this author just did. [We are told not to say "to never split an infinitive," but rather "never to split an infinitive.")
    In fact, the option of splitting infinitives allows us to distinguish between "to suddenly fire" (to fire without warning) and "to fire suddenly" (to shoot many bullets in a short time).

Many prescriptive rules were written to mirror Latin usage, where the infinitive is a single word (to praise:laudare) and therefore cannot be split; English infinitives are two words (to praise) and can easily be split.
    J'espère ne pas avoir dérogé aux règles du forum (une question par fil) en répondant à celle-ci. Elle me semblait en lien direct. :eek:

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    There is a rear-guard fight in English by supposed purists about not splitting infinitives
    (for example, opposing "to boldly go"). An article in the New York Times traced infinitive-splitting back through the Elizabethans, and suggested that the "purists" were 19th century Johnny-come-lately stick-in-the muds. To adapt Churchill, "splitting infinitives is a practice up with which I will not put".

Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds", but a case can be made that the aphorism was a tinge self-serving.