il n'y avait . . . plus à dormir et rêver

kratsy

English - United States
There is a whole sentence that I'm having trouble translating. no one is actually going to see the original at the moment, but I would nonetheless like to provide an appropriate translation so I can accurately represent the text.

[des millions d'adolescents]"sont peut-
être venus au monde au moment où il ne fallait pas: quand il n’y avait plus a travailler, à manger à sa faim, plus à dormir et rêver, plus à espérer"

"
maybe came into the world at the wrong time: when there was no more work, no longer enough to eat, nothing more to sleep or dream (?), nothing more to hope for"

I could use some suggestions throughout. But the "plus à dormir et rêver" baffles me the most.

merci

I'm sorry for the font weirdness - it's from cutting and pasting.

• newg

(France)-ais
    My attempt :
    "... sont peut-être venus au monde au moment où il ne le fallait pas : quand il n'y avait plus de travail, plus assez à manger, plus rien pour dormir et rêver, plus rien à espérer"

kratsy

English - United States
    I'm so sorry - I must have been unclear! What I need is the English translation of the French phrase. So what I've provided is the French original and my attempt at an English translation. Sorry!

newg

(France)-ais
    " maybe came into the world at the wrong time: when there was no more work, no longer enough to eat, nothing more to sleep and dream, nothing more to hope for"

;) Excuse me
    Your translation is correct, I suppose.

kratsy

English - United States
    Thank you. I am frustrated by "nothing more to sleep and dream" though. That does not make much sense (to me) in English. It is the closest I could get to a literal translation, but I'm not really sure what it means in French to begin with.

Would "Nothing more to sleep and dream about" be okay given the French original? I don't want to get too far away from the original, even though adding the "about" makes it sound much better.

< Previous | Next >