il se gaze la tronche direct

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Carcassonnaise, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Carcassonnaise

Carcassonnaise Senior Member

France
    British English
    More drug talk. One of the addicts in the squat "se jette dans un coin et se gaze la tronche direct." Meaning something like he stuck a joint straight in his mouth??

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Kecha Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    With "se gazer" I would suspect something that you snort / inhale, but again, not something I ever saw or heard before (I must be too old / well-behaved and searches returned distubing content so I did not dig around too much!).

3. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    it sounds like a quick fix (huffing)

4. Carcassonnaise

Carcassonnaise Senior Member

France
    British English
    Thanks to both of you. I agree - but later in the paragraph, the writer refers to people sitting around smoking so that is what made me think it must be something he lit up... could the French support that interpretation?

5. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    Les deux activités ne sont pas incompatibles.
    "se gaze la tronche direct" (direct : straight away) semble indiquer qu'il n'attend pas pour ultérieurement passer à autre chose.
    Je vois mal l'utilisation de "se gazer" quand il s'agit d'une fumette quelconque.
    J'aurais aimé trouver une expression comparable à "snuff one's face", mais "huff one's face" serait sûrement ridicule

6. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    'He was having a good old huff'. Can you say that? I'm on unfamiliar territory!:rolleyes:

Or you could forget about 'la tronche', which doesn't add substantially to the maning, really...

7. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

We don't know what the drug of choice is here, but
    huff is the verb for inhaling vaporous drugs
    toke is the verb for marijuana or hashish​

He sat down in a corner and huffed/toked up right away.

PS: "Un squat" is a false loanword -- squat is a verb in English, but not a noun in the context of abandoned housing.

For un squat (de drogués) we would say a drug hangout

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  8. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    I'm not sure why the subject of 'squat' came up, but in BE, it's a noun as well as a verb.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  9. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Carcassonnaise wrote : One of the addicts in the squat. I think that's why it came up.

The Free Dictionary confirms that the usage is BE on this page :
    Sans doute à tort, j'ai compris de « direct » qu'il s'agissait d'une drogue par injection ou par inhalation. Comme dans shooting heroin ou snorting/"sniffing" cocaine.