I'll be a bit incoherent...

missilee

Chinese - China
Dear all, I have emailed a professional suggesting a friendly meeting up, and she replied she'd love to! it's the busiest season so "I'll be a little frazzled but that doesn't mean we can't get together, just that I may be incoherent. What do you think?"

I'm slightly unsure...is she being funny? incoherent here means talking unclearly right? or am I missing something here...If so, what should I reply? If she's being funny, I would like to say being incoherent will probably makes it more fun...but is there a funnier way to say it? Thank you so much!

• I may be a bit off, but I think what she meant is that you shouldn't expect to have deep complex conversations when you two meet.

I doesn't look like an attempt at being funny to me, but rather a more subtle way to say she might not be a perfectly functional professional during this meeting.

Last edited:

mathilde70

French
    I have to disagree: the tone is light and I therefore see it as an attempt to be funny.
    In a more serious message, she might have used 'overwhelmed' rather than 'frazzled', the word 'difficult' might also have been used.
    Missilee's suggestion for an answer sounds very appropriate.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think she's being both serious and funny. She's saying what ShaggyVinny said but in a funny way. She's willing to meet and she's looking forward to it, but she might be a little tired from too much work. So forgive her in advance if she is a little distracted.

Missilee's suggestion for an answer sounds very appropriate.
    I agree.

missilee

Chinese - China
    thank you guys! Just to be safe I replied, of course, it'd be wonderful to see her in any case...

< Previous | Next >