I'll be a little more with it

joh2001smile

Chinese
What does this mean? Does it mean the speaker would accept Chris's suggest and eat a little before they go out the next day?
This is from a fiction One Thousand Suns. Chris show some pictures to Wallace about some pictures about some plane remains under water. Wallace was interested and decided to go out with Chris if he would go down water to have an another look. Christ suggest they have breakfast before they go out.

‘Well can we meet tomorrow for breakfast then?’ Chris asked as he helped the old man back into his windcheater.
‘Yes, yes of course. I should like to come out on the boat with you, if you’re planning on another dive…you know, to see where she went down.’
‘Okay, sure. I’ll organise that, but we can do breakfast tomorrow?’
‘Of course. I’ll be a little more with it, I hope,’ Wallace said with a worn smile.

• Joelline

American English
    Hi joh,

The old man is saying that he hopes he'll be more physically and mentally alert and well the next time they meet.

When you are very tired and having trouble even trying to think about something, you can say, "I'm sorry, I'm really out of it right now" (meaning that you can't even think straight at the moment). So, the next day, when you're feeling better, you might say, "At least I'm more with it today."

I hope this helps,
    Joelline

Dimcl

Canadian English
    What does this mean? Does it mean the speaker would accept Chris's suggest and eat a little before they go out the next day?
    This is from a fiction One Thousand Suns. Chris show some pictures to Wallace about some pictures about some plane remains under water. Wallace was interested and decided to go out with Chris if he would go down water to have an another look. Christ suggest they have breakfast before they go out.

‘Well can we meet tomorrow for breakfast then?’ Chris asked as he helped the old man back into his windcheater.
    ‘Yes, yes of course. I should like to come out on the boat with you, if you’re planning on another dive…you know, to see where she went down.’
    ‘Okay, sure. I’ll organise that, but we can do breakfast tomorrow?’
    ‘Of course. I’ll be a little more with it, I hope,’ Wallace said with a worn smile.
    I'm suspecting that previous text suggests that Wallace is tired or distracted because to be "with it" means to be mentally alert and focused.

joh2001smile

Chinese
    Hi joh,

The old man is saying that he hopes he'll be more physically and mentally alert and well the next time they meet.

When you are very tired and having trouble even trying to think about something, you can say, "I'm sorry, I'm really out of it right now" (meaning that you can't even think straight at the moment). So, the next day, when you're feeling better, you might say, "At least I'm more with it today."

I hope this helps,
    Joelline
    Thank you, I got it. It really helps.

< Previous | Next >