"I'll buy it back in a week, less damages and £500 a day".

scaque

Spain
Someone rents a boat for 20,000 pounds. The owner thereof states the terms and conditions of the deal, as follows: "I'll buy it back in a week, less damages and £500 a day". I guess that he means by the damages thing that he won't pay any damages incurred by the renter, but I don't understand what he means by the sum of 500 pounds. I would apreciate if someone could help me solve this doubt.

Thanks!!

• fetchezlavache

france
    i think it means that, for each day that has gone by, he subtracts 500 pounds from the total sum he'd have owed the other guy.

but i'm not really sure. i fail to see why the owner would re-buy his own boat. but that's probably another story !!!!!!!! :)

scaque

Spain
    I'm not very sure about that, 'cos that should be clearer. Has anybody ever heard anything like that in a common situation?

the tree

England
    It's not quite renting although it serves the same purpose.

The owner requests a payment and a deposit, without knowing how much of the £20000 is the payment and how much is the deposit because this doesn't matter.

When the boat is returned the owner returns the deposit (minus damages) or "buys it back"

< Previous | Next >