I'll have gone to Canada next week

Discussion in 'English Only' started by __xie__, Dec 12, 2016.

1. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    I'll have gone to Canada next week. <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

I want to know is this correct? When I want to bold the time of an activity in futer should I use this?
    And what's the different between this one and this:
    I will have been going to Canada for about ten days.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    Please provide a little more information, so we can understand what you're trying to say. In what situation would you use each of these sentences? What do you mean by "I want to bold the time...?"

3. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    I mean if I want to focus on NEXT WEEK should I use this rule? Do Americans use this gramer ?

4. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    We can't help you decide about the grammar if we don't understand what you're trying to say. You have given us two sentences:

I'll have gone to Canada next week.
    I will have been going to Canada for about ten days.

It's hard to think of a context in which we would say either of these, and they don't mean the same thing.

Please explain, using other words, what you want to say and in what situation you would say it.

5. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    I just wanted to know that are they use full in America ?? Cause I have never heard about this type of sentence for example in songs or movies . can you please tell me when do you usually use these type of sentence? My teacher said if you want to say about the duration in futer you must use this: I will have going to Canada for 10 days
    Is this correct to use this gramer whenever I want to focus on duration ?
    I hope I could say my mind

6. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    I don't think we would ever use those sentences. Instead (if I understand your intended meaning correctly), we would probably say "Next week I'm going to Canada for ten days."

7. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

"I will be going to Canada for 10 days in August." <--- This sounds perfectly normal
    "I will have left for Canada next week." <--- I can easily imagine contexts for this
    "I'll have gone to Canada next week." ??? This implies you have gone and come back, and it's not the way we would usually say it, in my experience.
    "I will have been going to Canada for 10 days." ??? This sounds like it takes you 10 days to get to Canada. You spent 10 days traveling to get to Canada. Odd in this day and age.

8. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    Or "Next week I will be going to Canada for ten days."

9. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    Tnx so much

10. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    Thanks

11. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran

12. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    So you haven't heard sentences like this?

13. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    Have you
    Have ever heard a sentence like this!?

14. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    It depends on what you're asking about. If you are referring to the use of the future perfect in general, then yes. But you first said that you "want to focus on NEXT WEEK" (post #3) and then that you "want to focus on duration" (post #5). "Next week" can describe when something takes place (the time), but not how long it lasts (duration). We certainly don't use it that way. The overall result, especially when combined with a future perfect or future perfect continuous, is a jumbled and ungrammatical mess. You claim to have "heard about this type of sentence for example in songs or movies," but I frankly doubt that you have.

15. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    I think I c
    I think I didn't say my mind correctly just forget this onei will have going to Canada for 10 days.
    And lets focus on this"I will have gone to Canada next week"
    If I want to say you about my traveling to canada and I want to say you exactly on next week should I say about that to you this way?
    I wish you could understand what I'm saying .and my English isn't very well so I can't say my mind easily
    And maybe my mind is:
    What's the different between :
    1-I will have gone to Canada next week
    2-I'm going to go the Canada next week

16. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

"I will have X" indicates something that happens in the future before something else. By saying "I will have gone" you imply that you went and came back, all before next week. It's a strange thing to say and a strange way to say it. Normally we would say "by" or "before" the time mentioned. "I will have gone to Canada by next week". But a week is a duration of time. It sounds very odd in this sentence structure.

I went to Canada last summer. :tick:
    I'm going to Canada this summer. :tick:
    I will have gone to Canada by the time you see me next. :tick:

17. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    Hmm. To me it implies you went and did not come back (yet). Hence:
    I don't like the sound of this one. It would work as "I will have been to Canada...", but with "gone" it sounds as though the speaker will either have gone for good, or just not have returned yet, and these are incompatible with "by the time you see me next".

The following dialogue would work:
    A: When are you coming back from your business trip?
    B: On the 20th.
    A: Oh, I will have gone to Canada by then,
    B: Really? How nice! And when will you be back?
    A: It's a two week trip. We leave on the 16th, will spend Christmas with our daughter and her husband, and will come back late on the 30th, just in time for Hogmanay.

18. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    I think some how I got it.but let me think more and I'll ask you guys if I had a question .thanks so much

19. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    The theory was very helpful
    But do Americans use this gramer a lot?

20. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

It's not very common that you will be talking about having completed a trip before you see someone again. :) No, it's not that common, at least the "will have been/gone".

21. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    So what would they usually say instead of this?
    I don't think so they use it a lot
    But thanks a lot ❤

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  22. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    It's not so much a question of how you would say it, but of whether you would say it.

23. __xie__ Member

persian-Iran
    You're right.my fault ,sorry