I'll have you know I'm a black belt in karate.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Mustermisstler, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Mustermisstler

Mustermisstler Senior Member

England
    Spanish.Spain
    Hi everybody,

1) I will have you know that I was here first.
    2) I'll have you know I'm a black belt in karate.
    3) I'll have you know he is a very nice person.

From the sentences above , I'd like someone to clarify for me whether this "I'll have you know" expression is considered always rude or it depends on the context.

<<Spanish removed by moderator>>

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  2. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    I would say it depends on the context. It's emphatic, but not necessarily rude.

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I agree with idilegre and would just mention that I always hear it, and use it, as a contraction: I'll rather than I will. But maybe that's just me.

4. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    I, in turn, agree with Copyright. I've never heard it with "I will," only with "I'll."

5. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    It is very emphatic, and usually used when contradicting something someone else has said or giving a warning. It is verging on being rude, but as Idealegre says it depends a bit on context. You wouldn't say it to someone you had a polite and dereferential relationship with, like a boss.

6. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Orlando!

7. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    It can be used in response to stereotyping and other forms of rudeness:

- I didn't think you would know how to sew a button on, because you're a man.
    - I'll have you know I've been sewing buttons back on my clothes since before you were born!

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You could certainly say it to a boss in a joking manner: I'll have you know I'm worth half as much as you're paying me.

9. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    I suppose so, but your example sounds a bit weird - who would say that? But, generally, yes, it can be used in a light, jokey manner in some contexts, but that's definitely one to be used carefully. It would all be in the tone of voice etc. I wouldn't recommend it to non-native speakers.