ill-named

Sensalia

Italian
Ciao a tutti,
sto traducendo un testo finanziario anche se non credo che l'espressione in questione sia specifica di quest'ambito.
La frase è "According to Wilshire Associates, the number of stocks in the now ill-named Wilshire 5,000 is just 3,686 as of April 30th".
Immagino che ill-named significhi qualcosa con una cattiva reputazione, simile a bad name. Sono nel giusto?
Grazie!

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi Teerex - I don't know anything about Wilshire or stocks, but I read the phrase "now ill-named Wilshire 5000" as referring specifically to the fact that since the "5000" is now only 3,686, the name no longer fits. Therefore, it's ill-named or badly named. Somehow the meanings associated with "famigerato" seem to be too harsh or critical in this instance. Am I wrong?

MR1492

English -USA
    Hi Teerex - I don't know anything about Wilshire or stocks, but I read the phrase "now ill-named Wilshire 5000" as referring specifically to the fact that since the "5000" is now only 3,686, the name no longer fits. Therefore, it's ill-named or badly named. Somehow the meanings associated with "famigerato" seem to be too harsh or critical in this instance. Am I wrong?
    I read it exactly the same way, Joan! I think you are exactly right.

Phil

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    I think you guys are right. In view of your comments, I'd say that "definito impropriamente" is a better choice. I mistook ill-named for ill-famed.:eek:My apologies to Sensalia for what was clearly a "bum steer" ;)

< Previous | Next >