I'll not want for grace in the matter of your passing

< Previous | Next >

unbknnt

Russian - Russia
Hi, I was reading Nine Princes in Amber by R. Zelazny and stumbled upon a bit opaque sentence.

"'So cheerio! Brother! The day I come again to Amber is the day you die! Just thought I'd tell you, since that day is not too far off.'
'Come ahead', he told me, 'and I'll not want for grace in the matter of your passing.'"

So the question is - what does 'grace' mean in this context and what does the whole phrase mean?

Is it 'I will neither need absolution nor feel remorse if you pass away by my hand'?
Even if such an interpretation looks sensible, it is a bit at odds with the meaning of the word grace as a kind of goodwill kings and other people of higher classes manifest in granting permissions or pardon.

• suzi br

English / England
    It is the sort of thing modern people write when they want to sound a bit archaic and formal - it sits strangely with the chatty "cheerio".

As for what it means ... your effort seems pretty good. Grace has more meanings than you suggest, so I think is works ok.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    want = lack
    grace = elegance

As Suzi says, it's a graceless pastiche, and it wants a consistent level of style.

< Previous | Next >