I'll punch your whole mug

• Matching Mole

England, English
    "Whole" is one word I wouldn't use with "mug". "I'll punch you in your big fat mug/stupid mug/ugly mug", maybe, but not "whole". This doesn't seem to mean anything, or add anything. It's not as if a mug is so extensive that "whole" would be required, and furthermore, it's not idiomatic, so sounds somewhat ridiculous.

I agree with James that it is usually "in the mug".

Loob

English UK
    Oh! How about "I'll adorn your whole mug" ? :)
    That sounds very strange, Ptak :D

Personally, I'd use a phrasal verb here: "I'll punch your mug in".

If I were to say anything so unladylike, that is.

blank_frackis

English - Scotland
    Mmm... So "I'll punch your mug" is incorrect too? It should be "punch in" only, right?..
    You can still say "I'll punch your mug" as mug is just a slang word for face. It doesn't sound very impressive though and has a 1940s gangster movie feel to it.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    You can still say "I'll punch your mug" as mug is just a slang word for face. It doesn't sound very impressive though and has a 1940s gangster movie feel to it.
    I've never heard this before, Frackis. I'd go with "punch you in your mug" as has been previously suggested.

Ptak, "adorned" just doesn't work. The way we would normally say it is to be "covered" with bruises.

I do agree, however, that "mug" sounds extremely old-fashioned and "thuggish" to me.

< Previous | Next >