I'll run it across him.

< Previous | Next >

megchan

Japan Japanese
Hello
A Canadian says to me, " I'll run it across him. means I'll tell it to him or I'll inform him of it." But I can't agree with him, because I hink the phrasal verb, 'run across somebody/something' means 'to meet somebody or find something by chance'.
And so I think, in this case, ' I'll get it across to him.' is correct. Am I wrong?
And does this sentence, 'Did you get your point across?' mean 'Did you succeed in communicationg your point?'
If so, I think 'I'll run it across him.' must be changed into 'I'll get it across to him.'
He also says to me, "I'll get the point across to him. is right but the meaning is slightly different from I'll run it across him."
I'm very confused. Please help me.
'I'll run it across him.' is a correct sentence? If so, what does it mean?

Last edited:
  • Paul E

English England
    I've never heard this but maybe in Canada it's used. The phrase 'I'll run it by him', with the same meaning, is very common.

Brioche

Australia English
    It is a less common variation of "run ... by" or "run ... past".

I'll have to run the figures past the accountant = I'll have to ask the accountant his opinion about these figures

Mary has a great idea for the concert, but she wants to run it by the committee first.

megchan

Japan Japanese
    Thank you all. And is I'll run it across him. correct? Is it understandable as the meaning I have described?

megchan

Japan Japanese
    Thank you, Paul.
    What about 'I'll get it across to him.' ?
    Do you understand it as the meaning I wrote?

JamesM

"I'll run it across his desk" is something I have heard. In my experience this means that I will submit it to him with the firm belief that he will approve it, but I am required to submit it for his approval, or at least allow him to review it before I take action on it.

"I'll run it across him" is not familiar to me at all. I would be puzzled by it.

"I'll run it by him" or "I'll run it past him" are both very common in my experience and I would understand both of them immediately.

"I'll get it across to him" is also very familiar, but it doesn't mean the same thing to me as "I'll run it by him." "I'll run it by him" means, to me, that I will make him aware of it and get his opinion on the matter. "I'll get it across to him" means that I will make sure that he understands a particular point, and does not imply any request for input from him on the matter.

sora no ryuu

English
    I live in Texas and I hear "I'll run it across him" all the time.

In essence I suppose it means "to present a piece of information to someone for verification purposes."

< Previous | Next >