"I'll take it. " to order food?

< Previous | Next >

mikichan

Chinese
Do native speakers say "I'll take it. " to order food at a restaurant?

Situation:
You:”Do you have A"?
Waitress: "Sorry, no. But we have B."
You: "I'll take it. "

Thank you.

• mikichan

Chinese
    Does that mean that it is correct to say "I'll take it. " both in restaurants and stores, or, "I'll take it. " is basically for shopping and it would be wrong but people say that very often in restaurants so no one will think it peculiar?...kind of like saying "Me either", which is wrong but many people say it but it should be "Me neither / Neither do I"??

Language Hound

American English
    As far as food or drink goes, I think it would be much more natural to use either the verb "to have" or "to get."

Situation:
    You: ”Do you have apple juice?"
    Waitress: "Sorry, no. But we have orange juice."
    You: "I'll have that."

I often hear non-native English speakers use the verb "to take" in this situation.
    Almost always, it is because they would use that verb in their native language.

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Does that mean that it is correct to say "I'll take it. " both in restaurants and stores, or, "I'll take it. " is basically for shopping and it would be wrong but people say that very often in restaurants so no one will think it peculiar?...kind of like saying "Me either", which is wrong but many people say it but it should be "Me neither / Neither do I"??
    It's commonly used in restaurants as well as stores. I'd say the same thing myself. In fact, when offered certain food -- as with a mention of daily specials-- it would be just as natural to say, "I'll take the lamb" as "I'll have the lamb."

< Previous | Next >