illustrate/rectify

< Previous | Next >

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
The leader's followers illustrated their gratitude to their leader promising to adhere to his principles.

A. exemplified
B. demonstrated
C. proved
D. rectified
E. typified

The answer key suggests "rectify" as the synonym of "illustrate". I couldn't make out the meaning. What makes "demonstrate" and "typify" wrong?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Since "illustrate" can mean to make something clear, then I can see how "rectify" could be used in a similar fashion. Since typify, proved, demonstrated, and exemplified all suggest actions rather than words (the followers are promising something rather than fulfilling a promise), I suppose "rectified' would be the closest one.

This is a confusing question, to say the least.

Loob

English UK
    Qomi, this is not a good question.

The sentence given does not make much sense. And replacing "illustrated" with "rectified" would make even less sense.

"Demonstrated" would be a better choice than either "illustrated" or "rectified".

I think you should throw away your book:D

EDIT: Eeek - I see I'm disagreeing with bibbles! At least we both agree that it's not a good question:)

sdgraham

USA English
    The leader's followers illustrated their gratitude to their leader promising to adhere to his principles.
    1. It seems that the preposition "by" is missing as in "by promising." If so, "demonstrated" is the only answer in any intuitive context I can imagine.

2. As always, it helps if you can specify whether the writer of this bewildering answer key is a native English speaker, since we've seen more than one occasion that non-native academics get carried away with some self-imposed rule of the English language that mystifies those of us who learned the language in the cradle.

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

I think you should throw away your book:D
    Loob, it is not my book. If it were, I wouldn't hesitate :D

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    1. It seems that the preposition "by" is missing as in "by promising." If so, "demonstrated" is the only answer in any intuitive context I can imagine.
    It's a kind of reduction, I think.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's a kind of reduction, I think.
    I prefer "by". However, it can work without "by" if there is a comma after leader, I think:
    The leader's followers illustrated their gratitude to their leader, promising to adhere to his principles.
    I also agree that "demonstrated" is only choice that would make this an idiomatic sentence.

I could see "rectified" in a sentence like: "The leader's followers rectified their previous failure to express their gratitude ...."

< Previous | Next >