ils font rêver ces Parisiens

janesmith11

English-United States
Can anyone explain when you just use rever (to dream) and when you use faire rever? [...]

I'm just trying to understand the difference. I saw this funny quip "ils font rever ces parisiens" leading to this picture: http://i.imgur.com/tueexPX.jpg and I'm trying to get the nuances.

I'm still confused though.

Thanks!

Moderator note: Later post moved to the beginning to give more context.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Hello janesmith11,

Perhaps this photo and quip, Ils font rêver, ces Parisiens, is hard to grasp, since in this context faire rêver means Parisians must make others jealous (i.e., others are dreaming of living in Paris, it's so wonderful). Obviously given the photo of the awful-looking bathroom, there is some irony here...

Chat Perché

Français - France
    Hello janesmith11,

Perhaps this photo and quip, Ils font rêver ces Parisiens, is hard to grasp, since in this context faire rêver means Parisians must make others jealous (i.e., others are dreaming of living in Paris, it's so wonderful). Obviously given the photo of the awful-looking bathroom, there is some irony here...
    Hello everybody,
    This seems to be the correct explanation, Wildan1 ! However, in this case, Janesmith has probably forgotten a comma in his quote, as the French sentence should read 'Ils font rêver, ces parisiens'

Last edited:

Quaeitur

Mod'elle
    French
    In this context, it is highly ironic. The sentence would be said with an eye roll and a twist of the mouth.

An English equivalent could be, in this context, Only in Paris...

< Previous | Next >