ils monnaient chèrement la contrepartie

trewsislikethenews

English, England
Bonjour tout le monde!

I'm struggling to translate a verb that I can't seem to find a meaning for in the given context: monnaient is the 3rd person past participle of monnayer...but I cant the meaning of the sentence in English

The article is talking about the refugee crisis in Germany and how other countries weren't willing to help:
Quant aux États situés dans le proche voisinage de l’UE, à commencer par la Turquie, ils monnaient chèrement la contrepartie politique et financière de leurs efforts pour réduire les flux de nouveaux arrivants transitant par leurs frontières.
I have:
[...] they heavily trade the political and financial counterpart of their efforts [...].

I'm not sure that trade is what it's talking about though? Help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hello trews, they drive a hard bargain (over/for ...), they cash in heavily (in terms of ...) is how I understand it here.

"You want us to limit the flow? It'll cost you heavily in cash and political terms ..."

trewsislikethenews

English, England
    Ok thank you...so "they cash in heavily in terms of the political and financial counterpart of their efforts to reduce the flux of new arrivals...." ??

OLN

French - France, ♀
    Note: "3rd person past participle" is incorrect. Monnayer is conjugated like payer (conjugator).
    ils monnaient (or monnayent): third person plural, present indicative

jekoh

Fr - Fr
    monnaient is the 3rd person past participle of monnayer...
    Monnaient is the 3rd person plural in the present tense.

The past participle would be monnayé.

Btw, framing the issue as "Turkey not willing to help Germany" is really wrong when Turkey has maybe 5 times as many refugees as Germany does. If anything it's a case of "Germany not doing enough to help Turkey". :thumbsdown:

< Previous | Next >