Im übrigen gelten die gesetzlichen Bestimmungen

Lora44

England, English
Hallo!

I keep coming across this phrase and am trying to find a decent English translation for it. Can anybody help?

It seems to be one of those 'small print' clauses, I've seen it a couple of times on eBay and in a few things explaining the warranty conditions on products, but can't find a good translation anywhere and couldn't even make an intelligent guess as to what it means.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out!

Vielen Dank!

• Frank78

German
    Apart from that legal regulations are being applied.

I´m sure there´s another concrete phrase in English. This is just a literal translation

Lora44

England, English
    I've managed to find a few English warranties containing the clause 'Compelling regulations by law remain unaffected by this' which could be what I'm looking for.

In terms of 'legal requirements', I'm getting fewer hits, but have found 'No responsibility will apply except legal requirements regarding product liability' although this doesn't seem to fit in my specific context.

"Bei nachgewiesenen Material- oder Fabrikationsfehlern wird das Gerät kostenlos instandgesetzt oder umgetauscht, im übrigen gelten die gesetzlichen Bestimmungen.

In this case, maybe it's something like '...otherwise all legal requirements/regulations apply'? Having said that, as a native speaker, that doesn't mean much to me.

Frank78

German
    "Having said that, as a native speaker, that doesn't mean much to me."

The same happens if I read German law texts. The lawyers don´t want to be understood :D

The best thing is to wait for a native English speaker to check your translation.

Last edited by a moderator:

ABBA Stanza

English (UK)
    The best thing is to wait for a native English speaker to check your translation.
    The problem is, Lora is a native English speaker! :D

There are times when being a native speaker doesn't necessarily help much (if it's any consolation, Lora, I don't know the "official" answer either :)). You need to be a lawyer, too. This is one area where the best translation in the world won't help much if it does not conform to common practice in the target country. If this translation is being performed for a company, this line may not even need to be translated at all, on the grounds that it would be just part of the standard legal "footer" that is added to each such document anyway, which would clearly be used in preference to any direct translation from the German equivalent.

In this case, maybe it's something like '...otherwise all legal requirements/regulations apply'? Having said that, as a native speaker, that doesn't mean much to me.
    You've basically got the idea. To me, it just seems like a way to minimize the amount of documentation required. For example, it's often the case that companies go further than the minimum standard required by law. For example, they may offer extended warranties, and so on. By appending this "catch all" phrase ("Im übrigen gelten ...") to their official documentation, companies avoid having to explicitly mention the (vast majority of) areas where the provisions do not exceed the legal minimum. Instead, only the deviations from this legal minimum are listed.

By the way, in Germany it is my understanding that all such deviations must exceed the legal minimum in order to be considered legally binding. For example, if someone signs a contract where one of the provisions of the contract falls below the minimum level required by law, then the legal minimum applies regardless of what is present in the signed document. In other words, one cannot sign one's legal rights away (inadvertently or otherwise).

Abba

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Probably (??):

"Notwithstanding of what is written above legal regulations will be applied."

I am not sure though if this means exactly the same, and I have no idea if this really would be correct in legal English. But probably it reminds the native speakers of other possibilities. :)

Sepia

High German/Danish
    Probably (??):

"Notwithstanding of what is written above legal regulations will be applied."

I am not sure though if this means exactly the same, and I have no idea if this really would be correct in legal English. But probably it reminds the native speakers of other possibilities. :)
    Makes sense to me - at least if we add a comma:

"Notwithstanding of what is written above, legal regulations will be applied."

paunitka

Polish
    Hello,

I know it's a bit late to answer, but I'd suggest:
    "To matters not regulated/addressed herein, general provisions of law shall apply," or "Matters not settled in this Agreement shall be governed by relevant provisions of law."
    For all I know, there is no equivalent fixed phrase in the English legal jargon, because this clause is characteristic of civil law, rather than case law.
    I hope that this will be helpful (to somebody).

Cheers!
    Paulina

< Previous | Next >