(I'm) a boy who likes learning foreign languages

"(I'm ) a boy who likes learning foreign languages." How would you say this in Japanese?

The literal translation must be something like 'foreign-language-learning-is-likeable boy'

As far as I know, there are no things like "who/what/that" in Japanese. Instead, the modifying phrases are crunched together into a "giant adjective" and come before the noun they modify. It is simple so far. But there comes the twist: When one says "someone likes something", an adjective used, rather then a verb. (X は Y が 好き です。) And it has made me so curious how to build up this sentence...

外国語を勉強するのが好き男の子(です。)??? ("外国語を勉強するが好きです"- I found this sentence in google while searching for my original one. It's clear that "Learning foreign languages" is the grammatical subject here, but I don't know why の is needed here. I just added the 男の子 part...)

外国語を勉強するのが好きだ男の子(です。) ???

• 涼宮

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    I would simply say

外国語を勉強するのが好きな男の子です

The の with 好き is needed because you cannot say infinitive + が + 好き to say ''I like verb'' that の is こと, so, 勉強するのが好きだ= 勉強することが好きだ. The こと/の is used to keep the verb in infinitive.

After すき you say な to link it with boy/girl or whatever the person/object who likes learning languages is.

So, it allows you to make statements like 日本語を話すのが好きな人です = I am someone who likes speaking Japanese.

Remember always using な, 音楽が好きな人は= the person who likes music... etc.

Hope this helped :) Any corrections are welcome.

Last edited:

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I wouldn't say 男の子 unless you are under 6 years of age. 男子 or 男性 will do.

語学の勉強が好きな男性 / 男子です。
    語学好きの男性 / 男子です。
    語学が好きな男性 / 男子です。

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    There are two conditions to keep in mind here. First, if a Japanese expression properly covers the adolescent age. Second, if the expression is okay as a self-referring remark. Come to think of the second point, all but 男子 and 男性 are inappropriate. Of the two, 男子 is increasingly more popular.

< Previous | Next >