I'm a douche bag!

Hendrix00

Korean
Hello.

This is taken from a movie 'Change up.'

Dave and Mitch are friends. After getting drunk at a bar, they urinate into a fountain,
simultaneously wishing they had each other's lives.

The next morning, they realize their bodies have been switched.
Still shocked, they stand in front of the mirror.

Mitch says, groaning, 'I'm a douche bag!'
So does Dave, 'Oh, I'm a f**king tool!'

A douche bag? Facing the craziest thing in his whole life, body-changing, he cries out, 'I'm a douche bag'?
Wondering what it could possibly mean, I looked up dictionaries to find out its meaning - a disgusting person.

Did Mitch yell at like, 'I've turned into such a disgusting person!'?

And about the 'tool'. It basically means a device used to carry out a particular function.
It doesn't seem to fit in the context - I'm a f**king tool!
I think there's something more to it.

Could you please help me figure out what it means?
I'd appreciate any comments.
Thank you.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    A "tool" in regular slang (in my experience) is someone who acts like a jerk. They do inconsiderate things and look after themselves first, for instance.

This is from Urban Dictionary:

an offensive comment, mainly aimed towards the male of the species, when one is being particularly nasty, stupid, or facetious.

There's another definition there but I don't recognize that one.

Last edited:

TheMahiMahi

English - United States
    Mitch says, groaning, 'I'm a douche bag!'
    So does Dave, 'Oh, I'm a f**king tool!'
    Hahaha yeah this one's easier than you think. Douchebag (sometimes just douche) and tool are both slang used all the time, really. Regardless of their original meanings they both now mean things like asshole, jerk, jackass, idiot, etc. I guess there might be some kind of difference between them, but nobody really cares. So basically when Mitch and Dave wake up and see that they are in each other's bodies, they are expressing what they think about the other person. Namely, that they're an asshole.

Hendrix00

Korean
    Hahaha yeah this one's easier than you think. Douchebag (sometimes just douche) and tool are both slang used all the time, really. Regardless of their original meanings they both now mean things like asshole, jerk, jackass, idiot, etc. I guess there might be some kind of difference between them, but nobody really cares. So basically when Mitch and Dave wake up and see that they are in each other's bodies, they are expressing what they think about the other person. Namely, that they're an asshole.
    From the way they reacted, I could tell what they had thought about one another. That was funny.
    Thanks for the clear explanation. :)

Barque

Tamil
    they are expressing what they think about the other person.
    I guess you could be right. I thought they were cursing themselves for having been stupid enough to let the change happen, but I guess they couldn't have helped it (except by not urinating into the fountain), so your explanation is probably right.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think it's right. It's probably half serious and half joking.

The shock is completely serious. The words are half-joking, black humor.

< Previous | Next >