I'm a good hand at it, too

Ptak

Rußland
Could someone tell me please if this answer makes sense in the dialog below?

- Excuse me for beeing rude with you this morning.
- You know, I'm a good hand at it, too.

What it supposes to mean is "I can be rude, too", and it supposes to sound a bit ironical. :)

Thanks.

• katie_here

England/English
    Hi Ptak,

It doesn't make sense to me

I'm a good hand at it, is really said when you are good at a physical task.

"Would you believe it, my wife thinks I'm a good painter, she wants me to paint the fence"

"You know, I'm a good hand at it, too!."

or

"Excuse me for being rude with you this morning"
    "It's okay, I have mornings like that too!".

Trisia

Romanian
    Hmm, if that doesn't work, you could try something like "that's alright, "rude" is my area of expertise" or "being rude is what I do [for a living]", "'rude' is my middle name," etc.

Ptak

Rußland
    "Excuse me for being rude with you this morning"
    "It's okay, I have mornings like that too!".
    But how about:

- Excuse me for being rude with you.
    - <you can't say here anything about mornings>

By the way, in Russian, we actually don't say "I know how to be rude" either. But as a joke, it can be used.

katie_here

England/English
    I'll leave it to somebody that understands how things are said in Russian. What I've said is perfectly natural here, but I couldn't even begin to understand why it's not said in Russia.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:

Ptak

Rußland
    you could try something like "that's alright, "rude" is my area of expertise" or "being rude is what I do [for a living]", "rude is my middle name," etc.
    I'm afraid it's not what I'm trying to say. This variant is too exaggerated. :)
    What I'm trying to say is: "I can be rude sometimes, too" (with a slight ironical nuance, maybe) and not "I'm always rude, it's my style of life".

Trisia

Romanian
    Oh... I was thinking about myself :D

Then Katie's version sounds good (to me, it means "I sometimes get like that too").

"It can happen to anybody"?
    or perhaps "I'm pretty good at that myself."

emma42

British English
    Could someone tell me please if this answer makes sense in the dialog below?

- Excuse me for beeing rude with you this morning.
    - You know, I'm a good hand at it, too.

What it supposes to mean is "I can be rude, too", and it supposes to sound a bit ironical. :)

Thanks.
    The answer does make sense. It's colloquial language. I think you have understood it.

El escoces

English - UK
    Here's another fairly informal suggestion. In response, you could say, "Don't worry about it, I sometimes give as good as I get", meaning "I have been known to be rude on occasion myself". It's a conciliatory way of saying forget it, it happens to us all sometimes.

El escoces

English - UK
    Another thought: I agree with Emma that "good hand" is a recognisable colloquial expression, but (perhaps this is a regional thing) I would maybe expect to hear "I'm an old hand at it, too".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >