I'm a jobless PhD

Roymalika

Punjabi
I have done PhD in physics. But I'm jobless. I go to a businessman, and say to him:
I'm a jobless PhD. I want to start my own business. Can you please give me some tips about how to start a business and earn money?

Source: self-made

Would it be idiomatic to say the bold, when I mean that I am jobless, having a PhD degree?

• Myridon

English - US
    I would probably just not mention it. It makes you sound like a homeless person. If you do want to mention it, I wouldn't use "jobless" or "unemployed."
    Perhaps, "I have a PhD and I'm not currently employed so I want to start my own business."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'Unemployed' would be far better than 'jobless', because you are a highly-educated professional type. But don't use either that or 'jobless'! It doesn't sound too good and nobody needs to know that. Plenty of people in the West prefer to have their own business. It's called the entrepreneurial spirit and they are known as entrepreneurs. Look up the pronunciation, because the BE version is different from the American.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It is something you might say to an acquaintance/friend. Especially if you were griping about your life at the moment. I find it idiomatic. I just wouldn't say it to someone who I was seeking help from, because it does sound like complaining. And that's not a good way to make a good impression.

bandini

inglés gabacho
    I agree with what's already been said. Avoid words like "jobless."
    Choose your words carefully because you won't get a second chance. Women, bankers and employers all have a hidden radar and can smell that stink of desperation all over you. When you ask for a job, money or a date, you must play the part of a man that doesn't need anything but a fresh drink. :)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, avoid "jobless". I would say "currently unemployed" if you simply don't have a job at the moment.