I'm a neat guy

< Previous | Next >

EnglishBug

Chinese
In Episode 22 of Season 6 of Friends, Paul does a little "self-encouragement" speech before his date with Rachel, which is attached below. I'm wondering why the audience find "Because you're a... neat guy" so funny. Does the word neat means something other than "clean" here? Thanks.

Paul (to himself): Just relax. Just relax, Paul, you're doing great. She likes you. She... maybe, she likes you. She likes you. Youknow why? Because you're a... neat guy. You are the man. You are... The Man! I still got it! Nice and sexy. You're just a love machine. [singing] I'm just a love machine, and I won't work for nobody but you! Hey baby!
Friends Episode 6.22

<-----Video clip removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

• Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    "Neat" is slang for "great, wonderful, interesting."

I never watched Friends, so I don't know the characters or situations and couldn't tell you why the line is so funny.

Copyright

American English
    "Neat" is a throwback word to when life was more innocent – it's in the company of "swell guy." Paul is trying to act suave, sophisticated, attractive, sexy, in control ... and then reassures himself that he's a "neat guy," which sounds rather juvenile these days.

< Previous | Next >