I'm already being served

Brave Heart

Japan, Japanese
Hi all,

Suppose you are shopping at a large store and are already being waited on by a store clerk, who is now somewhere in the store searching for the specific product you want. While you are waiting for him/her to come back with the product, another store clerk talks to you, "May I help you?"

In the above context, what would you most likely reply to the second clerk?
Is my assumption correct that you would likely say "I'm already being served/waited on, thanks"?

If there are better alternatives, please let me know.

Thanks. :)

• GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    I would not use waited on, as that strikes me as "restaurant-talk", but I'm already being served sounds fine, to me.

Harry Batt

USA English
    This situation is likely to catch you off guard. Responses in that kind of moment might not be perfectly appropriate but anything said will make your point. Eg., "I'm being taken care of." "The other clerk is looking for what I want." "I'm just waiting for the other clerk."

Brave Heart

Japan, Japanese
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. :)

This situation is likely to catch you off guard. Responses in that kind of moment might not be perfectly appropriate but anything said will make your point. Eg., "I'm being taken care of." "The other clerk is looking for what I want." "I'm just waiting for the other clerk."
    Hi Harry. I have a grammatical question. Can I use "another clerk" instead of "the other clerk" in your examples when there are more than two clerks?

I'm asking this because, in my school years, I was taught that I should use "one" and "the other" when I pick one out of two alternatives; "another" when I pick one out of more than two alternatives. Is this rule valid?

< Previous | Next >