I'm as close to totally neurotic as you can

< Previous | Next >

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi,

I read this personal quote:

"I'm afraid of making a mistake. I'm not totally neurotic, but I'm pretty neurotic about it. I'm as close to totally neurotic as you can get without being totally neurotic."
The part underlined looks a little tricky to me. I take it to mean:

Someone might just get a little bit irritated under a certain circumstance where I would be a totally neurotic.
Is my interpretation okay?

• Loob

English UK
    Hi kenny

I think the meaning's closer to "I'm not 100% neurotic - I'm just 99.99% neurotic".

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi kenny

I think the meaning's closer to "I'm not 100% neurotic - I'm just 99.99% neurotic".
    Hi, Loob

I think I haven't got it. The original sounds like the author made a comparison between her and anyone else. Could you rephrase the part underlined a bit for me? Thank you.

Loob

English UK
    I don't think there's a comparison, kenny. "You" is being used impersonally.

I'm as close to totally neurotic as one can get without being totally neurotic.

It might be easier to see without the "totally":

I'm close to being neurotic = I'm almost neurotic but actually I'm not neurotic.

I'm as close to neurotic as you can get without being neurotic.
    = I'm as close to being neurotic as a person can be who is not actually neurotic.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I'm grateful for your detailed deduction and interesting examples. Your image in my mind is 100% beautiful.:)

Loob

English UK
    Actually, I had second thoughts about my "Loob is close to being beautiful" example and edited it out - obviously not quickly enough:D

Thanks for the nice words, though!

Packard

USA, English
    I am not a genius. I am near to being a genius. In fact I as as near to being a genius as you can get without being an actual genius.

(I'm also good looking, but perhaps not as good looking as Loob).

< Previous | Next >